2 | I Kissed A Girl (And I Liked It)

➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸

Raven

"Asshole!"

Raven groaned again into the phone. When she touched her smooth hair, Ivory looked concerned and sank into her lap.

"I get it," she huffed. "I understand he is my agent, but he can't tell me what to do. No one on my team can."

Raven's publicist and best friend from college, Vivian, replied, "I explained to him why you're so insistent on working on this film. But he's urging you to think twice about taking on this role."

"Why?"

"Because he thinks it will be the end of your career."

"That's a load of crap!" Raven paced the room, inhaling deeply. "Does that mean I have to find a new agent? Is Mario giving up on me?"

Vivian laughed dryly. Of course, Raven's agency would never let her go. She was their most valuable client, and she knew it.

"Mario doesn't drop his clients," Vivian said. "But he has a good point."

"Don't. Viv, don't even think about finishing that sentence."

"Rae, please understand something. The main point both of us are trying to make is that your image is centered on the concept of a happily ever after. That's with a man."

"I don't give a crap; I have to be in this movie!" Raven clutched her hair in frustration. "Two people who identify as the same gender or no gender at all should represent the norm. This role has a happy ending."

"No need to go over that again."

"I think I should, Vivian." She sighed as she pivoted on her heel, alarmed by the heated conversation she was experiencing. "You interrupted an important screen test by insisting that I quit the production. Do you even have any idea what would happen if I did that?"

"I do, Raven, but you should think about this. Your career is about to go to hell in a handbasket."

"Are you kidding me? Why would things not work out well for my upcoming projects?"

"If you're not gay, portraying a gay character can cost you everything. That's queer-baiting," Vivian exhaled deeply and continued. "I mean, it's not like you've ever kissed a girl."

"You're wrong, Vivian because I have. I kissed a girl, and I liked it."

"Would you stop sounding like Katy Perry?"

"It's the truth." Raven smirked devilishly as she faced her reflection. "You know I have because that girl was you. Remember?"

"Yes, I remember." Vivian seemingly got inside her car and turned the key. "But we were in college and drank a lot. That kiss doesn't count."

"No, Viv, it wasn't a drunk kiss. We felt something between us. We just never got to find out what it meant because I moved to Hollywood. Since then, I've always known I liked men and women. I assumed you knew by now that I'm bisexual."

For a moment, they were silent while Raven twirled a strand of her hair and stared into the mirror. She took a big breath and finished her statement.

"Look. I don't want to talk about the past anymore, okay? I know there could be problems with making this movie. But a lonely high school student might feel better if they know someone is speaking up for them. It could help someone confused about their sexuality and give them a better idea of how they feel. Many people who are having issues could get help from this film."