Chapter 22: We Fight A Lost, Lost

Beowulf turned around, startled by the thunderous slam. Ryan was screaming something at Beowulf.

"UNINTELLIGIBLE ANGRY BRITISH NOISES," she yelled at Beowulf. She spewed out cuss words so bad it would have made a sailor blush. Razi leaned on the cage beside her, his face frozen in shock at Ryan's words.

I had sent Chips to Ryan to give her the news I was still alive and that I was coming to free her. Since they couldn't understand him, I found a receipt in my pocket from a truck stop on our way to Mexico. I didn't have a pen, so I summoned a small knife with my Bands and poked my fingertip. "I live," scrawled on the receipt in my blood.

Ryan saw me and lit up like a beacon. I ran over to their cage and ripped the door off with my bare hands. Ryan tackled me in a hug and then started hitting me.

"You stupid moron! Idiot! Dummy! Dummy! Smoothed brain hippie!" she yelled at me.

"Ow... hey... don't ever call me a hippie!" I said. "Ryan, you can...ow... beat me up later. OW! We have more important issues! OW!"

She sighed angrily and stood up. She reached out her hand to help me up, but as soon as I tried to grab it, she pulled her hand away and went to get Razi out of the cage.

"Yep... I deserved that..." I sighed and got up on my own.

Beowulf had stopped his ritual and was watching us from across the courtyard. "You are stronger than you look, Grey Walker of the Ancient Blood," he said.

"Please... just call me Grey or handsome," I said. At the same time, I flicked my wrist, and a five-foot Longsword grew into my palm. "It grew..." I looked at the sword, now a whole foot longer than before.

"What does that mean?" Ryan asked.

"I'm stronger now," I said. A wave of electricity ran through my body, and a smirk forced its way onto my lips. I was excited for this fight! "Ryan, you get up on a wall and make it rain. Razi, can you get in a spot to cast some support magic?" I asked.

"Yes, I can," he said proudly. He then did some hand signs and floated over to a ruined pillar. He made it on top and sat down. He flashed a thumbs up, signaling he was ready.

"Your voice..." Ryan said. "It's...manlier, deeper," she said, her cheeks flushed.

"Ryan, Love. Now's not the time for flirting," I said, which I didn't really want to say.

"Oh, right." She shook her head, turned on her heels. Flipping over a table, climbed up the massive stone wall like a monkey, reaching the top in five seconds flat. Her bow grew in her hands, and nocked an arrow.

"Are you ready now?" Beowulf said cockily.

"Yep, all ready," I said, getting into a fighting stance.

Beowulf charged! He dodged silver arrows shot by Ryan with ease. He swatted away a spell from Razi like a bug. He jumped, raising his big sword above his head, aiming to split me in two.

I rolled under him and came up to my feet behind. He landed with a ground-shaking boom, I slashed. A large gash on his back split open, and black powder started to melt out of him.

He quickly swung his arm, and before I could block it, his beefy fist hit me right in the chest. I was sent flying 20 feet away, rolling through the trampled grass in the courtyard. He started to laugh.