The Hill House | Jung Jaehyun

TW: Ghosts
Genre: Romance
Pairing: Jung Jaehyun x Reader
YN Pronouns: Not specified
Word Count: 1.3K
Prompt: Even in death, they did not part.

Notes: Spooky season is officially here! And since I skipped 20 days of NCT for Christmas last year, what the hell, why not do spooky season instead?
Disclaimer: Please remember that this is an AU and a work of fiction, obviously the idols mentioned/written about in this story would never partake in these actions. The idols mentioned in this work are meant to be seen more as face claims rather than the actual idols themselves.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thank you for reading!

~

"Haven't you guys heard of the ghosts of the house on the hill?" Mary's voice had a telltale tone. She turns on the flashlight beneath her face and her friends gasp in surprise, two of them holding hands and the other rolling her eyes.

"Don't be so scared, it's just a story our parents tell us so we don't play there, it's dangerous!" Stacey grumbles.

"Whoa, what story are you talking about?" Mary huffs. "The one I know is so different. I heard they're a husband and wife!"

"Ghosts are still scary!" Jesse shakes in his spot.

"No, no! We have to see them! They only come out on the full moon! What better than now in October?" The girl grins. Jesse sinks into his seat and Helena covers her eyes.

"No way! Too scary!"

"Let's go!"

"No!"

~

"My mom is going to kill me," Jesse holds the flashlight for Mary, who is now trying to pick the lock with a stick she found. Somehow Mary had convinced them all to go to the house on the hill but, shockingly, it didn't look all that haunted. It just looked like a house. The walls were painted a soft blue with white trimmings, and the dark wood rooftop seemed to be the only thing that would make the home scary. Even the windows all had light curtains on the inside of them.

"Are you sure this place is haunted?" Helena asks.

"Yes, shh!" Mary waves them off. Helena and Stacey stood behind them, waiting with baited breath and soon the lock clicked.

"Got it!" Mary grins.

"Hello?" A voice speaks above them and the four children start screaming. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, what's wrong? No need to be afraid!" You bent down to their level. "It's a bit early to be trick or treating," you chuckled.

"We're here to see the ghosts!" Mary exclaims and your eyes widen slightly before your face relaxes into laughter.

"Ghosts, huh? I can't say I've met any since my husband and I have moved in here," you looked behind you. "Say... did you want to have an investigation?" You nudged your head inside and the kids excitedly nodded. You stood up and opened the door wider so they could run in.

"Ghosts! Come out, come out, wherever you are!" Mary sings. The house, surprisingly, didn't look haunted at all. Maybe straight out of the past, but definitely not as scary as the adults put it.

"They're not going to appear if you're loud like that," Stacey shakes her head. She looks into the old mirror for a while, watching her friends run around the foyer through it, but shakes her head after a while.

"Maybe they like to hide," Helena looks under the table, picking up an old newspaper to look between them.

"Hey, where would you look for ghosts?" Jesse turns behind him toward the door, but you weren't there anymore. A chill rushes down his spine and he runs to catch up with his friends. "I don't like it here, let's go!" He tries to tug Mary's sleeve.