43

The sound of his heart beating was far more louder than the sigh he heaved at the door that had been the barrier, separating him from the people inside. For some kind of reason, Eric felt nervous to slide the door open. Let alone dragging himself in.

Through the small glass on the door, he saw Hyunjae sit next to Haneul's bed, his eyes glossy. Probably he was telling her a heartfelt story that Eric couldn't hear, thanks to the wooden door. But that wasn't the reason for the hesitancy to walk in.

Eric found a knot deep in his gut - made of guilt. Apparently, he deeply thanked the universe for allowing him to see Haneul again - though was not real. But, it pained him that the ability was granted only for him. What about her family? Parents that had lost their only daughter, a brother who was longing for his sister? And her friends who seemingly hadn't adapted yet to this sudden loss?

How devastating it could be.

Regardless, Eric couldn't go around announcing that he could see Haneul. That would be worse.

"Is it the correct time to barge in?" he sighed, hand already at the handle of the door. "What if he needs privacy?"

Shaking that thought away, Eric held the handle more firmly as he made up his mind real quick. He would slide this door open and let himself in with only one motive in his head. To see her.

After all, he hadn't seen her yet today. Not even during the session with Dr.Han. That had left his soul miserable, worried if anything had happened.

Hyunjae whipped his head at the sound of the door open. He swallowed down the lump in his throat, forcing himself to smile when he saw Eric at the threshold.

He indeed was crying, Eric could see the dampness on his long eyelashes.

"See Haneul, he's here to meet you," the older held his sister's cold hand, slightly caressing as he trailed Eric's movement towards where he was sitting. "Did you just finish the session?"

"Mhm.." confirming, Eric plopped down on the bed, next to Haneul's legs. "I want to see her, so I drop by."

Hyunjae had been observing. For the past week, he had been observing Eric thoroughly on how he handled his emotions. At first, he thought it was amazing that Eric could hold himself well. The boy didn't shed much tears as the days passed nor he was having trouble with his sleep - Eric's mother had reported it back to Hyunjae to thank him for the effort to treat his son.

Of course, the older was grateful, thinking that the sessions with Dr.Han were effective, that, it had helped Eric to keep moving. How would he react if he knew that none of the sessions were successful?

"Oh, Kevin told me that you met him," it was then Hyunjae remembered the phone call he had with the said boy.

"Yes.." he trailed off, watching at his own feet which were dangling in the air. "I couldn't find the logic of suicide in this case. I mean, why would she when she had a beautiful life than anyone else?"

Hyunjae let out a small airy chuckle that did not go unnoticed by the younger. It was too sudden that Eric was then pressing him to share the funny backstory that had him react that way.

Hyunjae gladly shared, "I'm happy that you finally can accept everything."

No, I'm not, Eric secretly muttered.

"I know it's dreading but we must let go," Hyunjae continued, flashing the potato smile on his face which eventually made his thin lips disappear.

Eric couldn't identify the reason behind the small cackle erupting from his lips. Was it because of the look on the older's face that looked hilarious or was it only sarcasm? But then, he found himself asking such a weird question.