Chapter Three

"Gaga! You know better. Before going to the party, have you completed your assignments?" I asked, being strict with her.

She suddenly fell silent on the other end of the line.

"Hello? I knew it. You didn't finish it again," I said, disappointed. But she interrupted me with laughter.

"Just kidding. You're always so hard on me! Hmp!"

I finished answering the questions in the two textbooks assigned to us, but there were still two more to go. We were required to write a five-page research paper on "the importance of water," which felt like returning to junior high school.

"And, of course! I asked if I could bring someone... and he said yes-" she started to say, but I quickly interrupted her with a firm "It's a no, sweetie."

She always did this. Whenever her crush would have a party, she would insist that I come with her for moral support. She never missed Gabe's parties without dragging me along. We never really interacted with him, just casual glances from afar.

'Fan girl behavior, right?'

"Why?! Who will I talk to if you're not there? Who will look after me if I faint? Do you want me to get picked up by random guys? Be kind to your bestie," she said with a pout.

"Mare, there are plenty of kind-hearted people in the world. You can do it alone. You don't need me there," I replied. "I'm like a cardboard you bring everywhere to scare people."

"You have no heart," I heard her grumble on the other end.

"You know I never liked parties and crowds, right?" I said, hearing her sigh on the other end.

"That happened one night... at a party. I hate myself for remembering it," I thought, trying to shake off the memory.

"Come on, Ally, you know you have to come!"

"Don't make me agree with Mom and apply for a visa to go to the States just to avoid you," Lori threatened me jokingly. "You won't ever see me again!"

I paused my writing and sat up on my bed.

"What the? So, you're pulling that card again! How dare you do that!" I exclaimed, not wanting her to get her way.

"Anyway, the party starts at 8 pm. Gotta go now. Love you!" she said before hanging up.

"Lori, don't you dare-" I was interrupted by a beep that indicated the end of the call.

I sighed, questioning whether or not she was really my friend.

I checked the time on my phone, seeing that it was already three o'clock. "Aish! I need to hurry," I thought, realizing I needed to finish my homework before getting ready and going to the party.

~~~*~~~

After finishing all our assignments, I glanced at the clock on my bedroom wall. It already read six o'clock in the evening. I was impressed that I could complete four in just three hours. Good thing I didn't feel lazy today.

As I started to tidy up my things, I felt a yawn escape my mouth. I needed some sleep. Suddenly, I heard my phone beep, indicating that I received a message.

"Hey, mare! Are you ready yet? I'm excited. Remember, you still have two hours to get ready. Please look super pretty!" my best friend's message read.

I was confused. Ready for what? I didn't have anything to prepare for, at least I knew of.

I paused for a moment, deep in thought, as I tried to remember if my friend had mentioned anything earlier about plans for the evening or if there was something important I should be preparing for. Then, it suddenly hit me.