Chapter 09

The first time I found myself in your arms and felt how easy it was to fall into your embrace, I simply thought I was dreaming

For the first time in my life, I felt how beautiful it was to fall in love, and to be so loved in return, and I never wanted it to end.

And my prayers were heard, because you never left.

Even when I was ready to let you go, you simply held me tightly in your arms and never let go.

How was a girl not to fall in love so deeply when something like that happened? To have the only person that she dreamt about suddenly loving her back, giving her all the attention that she could only dream of?

Whenever I would recall that night in my head, I would often wonder—what would have happened to us if that night never happened? Where would we be today?

How would our story have played out, if only you never knew how I truly felt for you?

Eight years ago...

"What am I to do with you?" Namjoon whispered, breaking the silence that had been accompanying the two of you since the moment you sat down with him on the porch.

The student residential that you rented together with a few of your close friends from college had normally been quiet. But that had not been the case that night, and you had no other choice but to escape them by hiding on the dark, dimly-lit porch.

Keeping your eyes closed so you could feel him, you let out a soft giggle and asked, "Why? Am I so hard to handle?"

You could sense him smiling without having to see it when he answered, "Saying that would be an understatement." He kissed the top of your head, and your heart soared. A content sigh slipped out of you as you wondered if this was just a dream. Because it felt too good to be true that you refused to believe that it was real. That he was giving you all the attention that you had craved and waited for for a long time.

Never once had you ever thought that you would be here at all. To be sitting by his side with his arm around your shoulders and your head resting against his chest. To be this close to him when you had only been able to watch him from afar before, let alone to be teasing each other like this.

His low chuckle stirred something deep in your heart. Because you loved how it sounded, and you loved how he made you feel when he did just that. "You have no idea what you do to me," he said, before shifting on the seat and turning you in his arm so he could look at your face. "You know that you've been driving me crazy, don't you? I never know what to do with you, especially when you're like this."

"Like what?" you asked him with a smile, though it wavered when you caught the sad look in his eyes. Almost as if he was feeling guilty.

Namjoon let out a sigh and briefly closed his eyes before saying, "Looking like you'll cry if I try to pull away."