First day of school

It was the first day of school after summer break.
My family just moved from Wisconsin to Alabama out of all places, so basically from one shithole to another.
I sat in front of the window on the one piece of furniture I had actually managed to unpack in the span of a week.
I wasn't being too enthusiastic about any of this. I had exactly nothing to look forward to today. At least my parents were still off of work for a week or two so I didn't have to bother taking the public bus to this hellhole, but instead could enjoy the luxury of them driving my brother and me.

I threw my backpack over my shoulder ready to leave for the day.
My brother was already downstairs in the kitchen and looked over his shoulder when he heard me coming his way.
"Hey Jeff, do you want anything for breakfast?"
As conciderate as always.
"Not really. I'll just have some water I guess." I sighed, making my way to the kitchen counter to get a glass.
"You better. I don't want my little brother to collapse on his way to school. Why are you going out in a hoodie anyway? It's late august."

"I don't have anything else to wear really. Still packed up and shit." I shrugged.

"Really? Not even the necessities?"

"My chair."
Hey, it was a necessity.

"So that the girl you'll bring home can sit down in your room, I get it, very conciderate." he teased.

"Shut the fuck up, I'm not getting anybody home. Ever." I went to the tab and filled the glass with water.

He chuckled in response. "The bloodline ends with you?"

"Okay look first off all I am not getting anybody pregnant at 15 and second off all what about you??"

"I figured you could not yet carry the burden of being called Uncle Jeff."

"I don't kbow wether I'd rather have you dead or kill myself right now, Liu."

Our blissful conversation was interrupted by my mom shouting that she desperately wanted to drive us to school.
I exed down the water because I actually did not intend to collapse in school today and then made my way to the car.
My brother, like usually, taking the front seat while I myself sat in the back next to our backpacks.
I just looked outside the window for the drive, until the car drove next to the schoolbus and I unintentionally locked eyes with a kid in there.
Upon mutual realization we both immedeatly backed away from the glass and persumably looked into opposite directions, at least that's what I did. I hated eye contact. Why was it even necessary. It can't be concidered polite just staring into somebodys eyes during a conversation.

The vehicle stopped in front of the entrance gate and my brother got out while I grabbed both of out backpacks. He opened the back door for me and I got out and handed it to him.
Our mom waved goodbye and blew a kiss though the window which I chose to ignore, yet my brother grabbed my wrist and forced me to wave goodbye back to her. Fair I suppose.
I shot him a glare.
"Remember, if there's anyone messing with you, you can always come to me. If you find no friends just know that I got your back no matter what. Alright?" Liu said, as we made our way inside.
I couldn't hold back a smile. He's an annoying older brother but he's doing a great job at the latter part.
I just hoped he knew how appreciated this was.
I was heavily bullied in my old school, so I wasn't particularily interested in interacting with anybody to give somebody here fuel to start a fire.

Liu's and my ways eventually parted and I made my way upstairs into the 2nd floor, when suddenly I tripped and fell into a guy in front of me, who ended up falling as well.
Great fucking start.
After a short moment of shock I got back up and apologized.
"Sorry, I tripped. Are you hurt?" I offered him my hand to get up.

...