Reluctant Resolve

What was that about?

Goro couldn't understand this guy. Offering friendship out of the blue, when they hardly knew one another, then asking if he didn't like contact?

It was true, of course, Goro hated any and all physical contact. He had as long as he remembered, but no one had ever cared. He had to suffer through it for the sake of keeping up appearances and not wanting to seem more odd than he already did.

Not only did Kurusu point it out and not act like it was a problem, but seemed more than willing to respect his discomfort. He even acted like it was a typical response!

Was it a typical response? In his experience through foster homes, that wasn't the case, but he was aware that those people were less than kind. Then again, perhaps Kurusu's situation was alternatively abnormal.

Thinking rationally, Goro realized just how strangely he'd reacted to Kurusu's words, and how obviously he'd dismissed the subject. He didn't seem to be intent on pursuing the matter, at least.

Another thing on his mind, Kurusu hadn't seemed to pity his admission on not having friends. Nor did he insist that as well-known and talented as he was, it didn't make sense.

That was what Goro liked most about this guy. He didn't treat him as anyone but a peer. A friend, even. Not a detective prince, not someone to be used and manipulated, not a kid. That was why he stood out.

They began playing billiards without further incident. Any tension came solely from Goro, but he was sure Kurusu wouldn't pick up on it much. The game came close, but in the end, he'd won. Exactly as intended.

"Aren't you left-handed?" Kurusu asked, startling Goro. Of course, he'd held out his left hand to greet him when they'd first met, but why would someone remember that? It was insignificant, Goro never payed attention to it, why should Kurusu?

"I'm honestly impressed you noticed." Goro tried to play it off with a smile, but the frown tugging at Kurusu's lips proved that it wasn't working. The man sighed before shaking his head.

"Next time, don't hold back." There was more he wanted to say. Was Kurusu holding back himself, not asking the questions playing in his mind? It wouldn't be wise for Goro to press further into the matter, nor did he want to, but it intrigued him. What did he stand to gain?

Goro chuckled. "Well, if you can't even manage to beat me when I'm using my right hand, how can you expect to match me then?"

Kurusu's lips turned up at the promise of future matches. "Do you have time for another game?"

It was getting a bit late, he really should be going. But the challenge standing right in front of him, the company that made him momentarily forget his troubles, the offer of friendship, it was all too enticing.

Goro smirked in match of Kurusu. "I suppose I can spare a bit more time. It won't take long to beat you again. Especially using my left hand."

They lost track of time. Goro won again easily, but the match after that came far too close.

"I don't see why you're acting so cocky." Goro placed a hand on his hip. "I still beat you."

Kurusu was smirking proudly as he shrugged. "Maybe, but I almost won. I might next round."

With a roll of his eyes, Goro shook his head. "Unfortunately, it's gotten very late, and we have school in the morning. You'll have to wait to beat me another time."

That seemed to raise Kurusu's spirts even higher. "I'll hold you to it. Let me know next time you're free, I'll kick your ass at billiards and anything else."