xʟᴠɪ. amends

"I think we can leave things there for today. Once I get back, I will conduct a thorough investigation into the Tenryou Commission's internal issues." Kujou Sara spoke apologetically to Sangonomiya Kokomi, her previous confidence having diminished the instant her soldiers confessed to their sins. She was left defensive and vulnerable, and though she spoke to Watatsumi Island's Divine Priestess, Y/n caught the wary glance cast her way. 

The soldier lounged lazily against the temporarily placed partitions, her face half shielded by shadows. By Ayato's request, she acted as the Yashiro Commission's representative, but she found input meaningless. She instead watched and listened, unsettling both opposing parties more with her silent presence. Naturally, she'd been bored until conflict arose; now, she smirked at Sara to show she'd been seen.

The general returned her focus to Kokomi, her posture straightening and a gentle pink dusting her face. She took the girl's advice in stride, if not grateful for her idea, then at least as a courtesy. "I will bear this in mind. Thank you," she paused, "I shall take my leave now. Until we meet again."

The Tenryou Commission's leader fled the scene whilst Kokomi sharply silenced the excuses of her supporters. She agreed to discuss them upon return and slowly crept over to Y/n. "You must be Y/n, the leader on the Kamisato family front."

She shook her head, but her lip quirked proudly at her assumption. "I'm afraid I'm just a soldier doing her time."

Kokomi narrowed her eyes, her expression both curious and uncertain. "You committed a war crime?"

She just shook her head, smiling without joy. "No," she didn't elaborate.

"Then, I should still thank you for your efforts," Kokomi decided. "We may not have been comrades in this fight, but still, we battled a common enemy."

The soldier nodded coolly, lacking the motivation to retell her account again and correct the assumption. Still, recalling the blissful hours she wasted whilst hundreds of noble hearts died in the line of duty, she felt like a fraud. "Likewise. It's been an honour."

The strategist waved goodbye, a warm smile painting her contentment for Y/n. Kokomi left in the opposite direction to Sara; the soldier saw no reason to stay, so she followed the previous path of the Tenryou Commission's general and began her return to Narukami Island.

Only, she barely managed to step a foot out of the negotiation grounds before she was halted by Sara herself.

"I assumed you'd be halfway to Inazuma City by now." The soldier arched a brow. To her surprise, the general didn't retort, mainly reacting with a scowl she quickly discarded. 

Aided by her typical tension, Sara's words seemed artificially calm and sympathetic: "I hoped to speak with you first; it's rare for us to have the opportunity. I... must admit, I was wrong in my impression of you. My admiration and concern for Her Excellency led me to form rash conclusions, and in naming you my enemy, I never considered your side..."

Y/n quickly shook her head: "Look, I think I owe you an explanation. You're right; though changing or manipulating her was never my intention, you had more than sufficient reason to doubt me. I understand that now, and I would have done the same. I apologise for dismissing you back then. Truthfully, I had no recollection of our history; I lost my memories some time ago."

Sara considered this, seeming unconcerned by the dubious claim. She took Y/n seriously; their relationship demanded that much, and if it were true, then much would be explained. "So it seems," she mumbled more to herself than the soldier. "And you've recovered?"

"Yes," she confirmed, "I remember it all now. I've returned to my family and am repenting for my betrayal."

They slipped into momentary silence, watching the Mini Shogun shuffle about on the island's shore, its tiny form submerged with sand. Suddenly bittersweet, the soldier cracked a smile. "Although, after all this time... If only I'd truly managed to change her at all."