Brave or Coward?

No one could say that Mr. Snake wasn't brave. He partook in some of the craziest and dangerous heists you could think of. He looked imprisonment and death in the eye and laughed. He cowered before no one and it's not like anyone could make him kneel. Everyone who had met Mr. Snake knew just how recklessly brave he is, usually to a near stupid level. Who else would help try to steal the golden dolphin? Yes, no one could say that Mr. Snake wasn't brave, but that was because no one knew just how much of a coward he actually was.

While Mr. Snake never seemed to be afraid of anything, there was one thing that terrified him, relationships. Just the thought of putting the trust into someone and having that same level of trust be given to him terrified him. The thought of being vulnerable terrified him. So he deflected. Anytime he felt himself getting close to someone he either left or acted so aggressively that the idea of any kind of relationship, platonic or romantic, couldn't be possible. And then, Mr. Wolf waltzed into his life.

For some reason his aggressive nature didn't keep Mr. Wolf away. No matter how much he hissed or snapped at him he was persistent on being Mr. Snake's friend. The pup just wouldn't go away. And eventually, Mr. Snake started to think of Mr. Wolf fondly. And for some reason, a reason he could never explain, he stayed. He became Mr. Wolf's friend. And eventually other friends came, though nowhere near the same level. But Mr. Snake was still a coward.

Because while he became Mr. Wolf's friend, he never had the courage to tell him his true feelings, or let him see into his true heart. Nothing made Mr. Snake more afraid than when he realized that he was in love with Mr. Wolf. And what did he do with this new found information? Nothing.

He did and said nothing. Not when life was full of crime, not when he were forced into goodness training, not when they got into a fight, and not even when they made up and even eventually got out of prison. Never did he tell Mr. Wolf his true feelings. How his heart skipped a beat whenever he touched him. How his mouth sometimes went dry when talking to him. How his dreams were filled with happy lives and kisses. How he wanted to feel his fur against his scales. How he wanted to know so badly how the canine tasted. God, this all made him feel like a teenager. No one had ever made Mr. Snake feel this way. And that just made him all the more terrified.

So he stayed quiet. And now he stayed quiet for too long. Because now he is standing at the altar alongside Mr. Wolf, not as a fellow groom, but as his best man. Mr. Snake was a coward, but Diane was not. She fell in love with Mr. Wolf and confessed just a few weeks after they got out of prison. And now, they're getting married. Because Diane Foxington was brave, and Mr. Snake was not.