Chapter 1

Soft blueish purple light streamed through my window with early morning sunlight reflected off the fresh snow that fell last night.

I had stayed up and watched it fall in large flakes in the moonlight. It was such a small quiet moment in time, a brief pause for my own world before everything changed. I laid as still as possible as the light slowly turned into a golden yellow, bouncing off the objects within my tiny bedroom.  I sat up and stretched not taking my eyes away from my window.  My blonde long hair was in a braid  falling down my back, it was a honey sun kissed blonde color that up until last year i had kept cut short.  My tan skin looked as it glowed as the sunlight hit it, and i took in a deep breath trying to remember this moment.

The warmth on my skin.. the smell of our wood burning stove, the smell of my mother who was downstairs definitely burning the pancakes that she had promised to make last night.

"Callie?"  She called. Her voice soft from her normal morning yell. She had been a nervous wreck for the passed month knowing what today held for me. And secretly I was too. "Time to get up."

Anything could go wrong today...but then anything and everything could go right.  I sighed and pretended to whine. "The sun just came up.." i waited and i literally felt my mother do her normal eye roll even though she was in a different room.

"Well if you weren't up all night writing, you would have gotten better sleep." Her voice muffled as she moved away from the stairs that lead up to my room.
"Mother, I'm a werewolf, Staying up and howling at the moon is written in the job description." I said sarcastically. I got up and went over to my closet and pulled out my new outfit my best friend had purchased for me when she forced me to go shopping with her.
         A good pair of blue jeans and a oversized cream sweater, paired with my brown leather boots it was definitely a comfy outfit for traveling for most of the day. We had to be at the airport before 9. 

I closed the door to my closet and looked in my full length mirror that hung on the door. My hour glass figure was hidden underneath the sweater but it did flatter my shape rather then hide it. After all the facials and beauty treatments Tiffani put me through in the last week i was almost unrecognizable. As werewolf's we were slightly more attractive and fit, but still a little pampering went a long way.

I heard my mothers footsteps coming up the stair way. "Wolf or human, you have to manage your time better."  She said firmly, tapping on my door before letting herself in.

She smiled as she had caught me still looking myself over."Oh Calliope, you look so grown up." Tears welled in her eyes.  She grabbed my hair brush off my Vanity and came over undoing my braid before brushing my hair out.

"Next time i do this, it will be at your mating ceremony." She gushed.

I avoided eye contact.  No one truly wanted to be mated so young but as werewolves coming of age was a time of excitement for many reasons. We all had special talents and magic, or we all came into our full power... but also we found our soulmates. Literally our mates who our souls will tie itself down to for the rest of our lives. It was a magical process, and a beautiful one.. but i had been been through the process before and never found my mate. And i wasn't necessarily mad about that.

We as a magical creature going extinct had made it mandatory to attend a camp, 1 time a year,for the last 20 years, to where we could go stay a week or 2 and go meet others from different packs. It was to help repopulate, to keep contact and build trust with the others. It was meant to most likely keep tabs on who had power, or talents. Other packs could recruit you to join their packs. Like a college scouting out players for a team. It was also used to spread knowledge about our histories, and for use to find teachers depending on our abilities.