Chapter 21 - Don't feel too safe

[AI art and screenshots from the banner were created by me]

"Professor Black!"
Noreen Blainey ran a bit behind him as she intercepted him in the corridor on his way to his office. She had been looking for him for quite some time and was now relieved that she had caught him before he retired for the night. Soon, she would be able to go to bed herself. 

The headmaster turned around somewhat begrudgingly as he realized that this bothersome Muggle-born nurse had called him so loudly that he couldn't simply pretend not to have heard her. He put on a fake smile and turned to her.
"Madam Blainey," he greeted her without further pleasantries, giving her a look that he hoped adequately conveyed his impatience and irritability. 

Nurse Blainey came to a stop in front of him and returned his gaze with great humility, which immediately pleased Professor Black.
"I apologize for the late disturbance, but as the matron of the hospital wing, it is my duty to inform you when I become aware of any breaches of school rules," she explained, and Professor Black raised an eyebrow. He knew that Nurse Blainey had never taken up his precious time for any trivial matters, so he was now genuinely interested in what she had to say.

"I'm all ears," he said in an encouraging tone, crossing his arms over his chest, while the young woman nervously rubbed her hands together.
"Three students have left the school grounds. I overheard them talking about heading to Brocburrow," she reported, trying to find any indication on the man's face whether her assessment was correct and if it was worth bothering him. 

Professor Black appeared almost disappointed. To be honest, he didn't care much about such rule violations. If some reckless kids thought they needed to wander around at night, they would learn soon enough that it was a bad idea. And he knew that if something really serious happened to one of them, it would be a much better lesson for all the others than any school rule lazily written on parchment, which they would have to copy a hundred times in detention.

"Very well," Professor Black sighed now, realizing that he would only get rid of this annoying nurse if he made her feel that she had fulfilled her duty sufficiently. "Which students are we talking about? I'll take care of it."
Nurse Blainey seemed relieved and visibly relaxed as she continued.
"Seraphina Bloggs, Sebastian Sallow, and Ominis Gaunt."

A strange glint briefly flashed through Professor Black's eyes, and one corner of his mouth lifted almost imperceptibly.
"Brocburrow, you said?" he asked now with an entirely new, highly interested tone in his deep voice. Nurse Blainey appeared a bit perplexed by this sudden change in the headmaster's demeanor, but she eventually nodded vigorously. 

Professor Black's mouth curled into a sly grin.
"Thank you, Noreen. I'll send someone to... take care of it," he continued, ignoring the gentle blush that had crept onto the nurse's cheeks when he addressed her by her first name. After bidding her farewell, she watched him for a moment as he quickly disappeared in the direction of his office, as if the case of these three runaway students had suddenly become his top priority.

From the rear of the room of her Keeper Trial, a noise suddenly echoed that Phina was all too familiar with. She swiftly turned around to observe the three Pensieve Protectors, who were gearing up for combat, stretching to their full height, and drawing their weapons. It had been a while since she had last fought one of them, but Phina recalled that they were rather sluggish, and the most challenging aspect was keeping all of them in view in case one leaped at her. 

She ignored the self-satisfied laughter of Professor Drewitt in the painting behind her and took a determined step toward the Protectors, who were now advancing on her with raised clubs and swords. The one to her right, who was now closest to her, would be her first target. Even if her enemies were to attack her all at once, Phina had learned over time that she fought more effectively by taking them out one at a time and only defending against the Protectors she wasn't currently targeting.