Chapter twelve

Darius was looking out the window staring at the moon. He smiled and sighed. "It's over. Guys, we did it. We're going home."

Out of nowhere Sammy jumped out of her seat and cheered. Everyone looked at her for a moment before joining in. Y/n covered her ears and didn't cheer with the others but there was a bright smile on her face.

Darius walked over to Kenji. "It's cool, man. We're good. We'll be at the main docks soon." Kenji smiled and Darius walked away.

"This calls for celebration." Brooklyn declared.

"I might be able to help with that," Ben offered. He unzipped his Fanny pack. "Stashed a few treats for the road." He pulled out exactly seven candy bars.

"Ooh, sweet!"

"I'm starving!"

"Our little Ben is useful."

Everyone snatched the bars from him. Let's just say they where not a big hit. He continued to explain that they where not chocolate but Carob bars. Just as delicious without any of the sugar or caffeine. His words.

"What is wrong with sugar and caffeine? The first thing I'm doing when I get home is hugging my espresso machine. I may never let go."

"You know.." Kenji stood up and held onto the bars on the ceiling of the monorail and cleared his throat, "I've often described myself as a tall, hot drink."

Everyone scoffed at him.

"Eww.."

"Come on, man."

"Gross."

Brooklyn glared at him. "You could never be coffee."

He glowered at the ground, "I could be coffee."

"No," Y/n corrected him.

"I cannot wait to be home," Yaz stated, "once my ankles better it's back to training. And I guess finding a new corporate sponsor. Since mine was Jurassic World. But you know..."

"It's gonna be weird for things to be normal again. I mean, are video games gonna seem boring now?" Darius laughed.

He turned to Kenji, "What about you? What's the first thing you'll do when you get home?"

"Depends on which wing of our mansion you're talkin' about. East wing is usually off limits, but Dad and candy are away on business, so I guess I'll go downstairs to our bowling alley," he chuckled sadly, "Staff always lets me win. Life of a VIP." He turned and looked at Darius.

Sammy awkwardly changed the subject, "So... what do you plan to do when we land Y/n? what have you missed Ben?"

"I don't really know. This is the only home I've ever known. I don't even know what civilization is like outside the island. I honestly never visited the real park to understand what it's like on the island..." she looked at be expectantly, not wanting to lower the mood anymore. "Your turn."

"Oh!" Kenji stammered, "Let me guess, you can't wait to get home to your closet of dork pouches!"

Sammy and Brooklyn giggled and Ben said "ha, ha. Very funny." He laughed at the end of his sentence.

"Seriously Ben, you've had juice boxes for days! How much stuff can you fit in that thing?" Darius asked.

"One, lots, and two, obviously the first thing I'm gonna do when I get back is restock it." Ben shrugged and everyone laughed.

Kenji spoted flashlights on the wall and picked one up. "Check it out!" He pointed it up to his face and flipped it on as he imitated a lightsaber powering up. He pointed it at one half of the seats then the other. "I found the first thing at Jurassic World that works!" He flipped it up in the air then failed to catch it. The light flicked off. He immediately picked it back up and flipped it back on, "it still works."

"I still can't believe how much went wrong" Brooklyn chuckled. "Like that time we almost got eaten?"

"What time?" Yaz asked. "How is there more than one time?

Darius grabbed his juice "let's all raise our Carob juice. A toast. Yo not getting eaten!"

"To not getting eaten!"

Kenji rushed over to his juice. "To not getting eaten."

"To no more running away!" Brooklyn shouted and everyone repeated it tho only Ben drank.

"To the return of a low level gnawing dread, rather then and all encompassing, impending doom!" Ben declared.

"Why not!"

"To what Ben said!"

"Bad doom vs normal doom!"

"I got one!" Sammy called. Before she could say anymore there was a loud explosion sound. The whole monorail  shook. "What was that?" She asked.

"It sounded like an explosion." Yaz said worried.

"Ugh! Not again!"

"I don't see anything."

"I don't think it was near us," Darius said. "We're okay. We're still okay.

"I know camp wasn't what we thought it was gonna be. But after everything we've went through, at least we're leavin' this place with six new friends! To the seven of us being best friends for life!" Sammy held up her juice box. When no one went to join her she tilted her juice box, "Clink!"

No one would meet her eyes. Y/n went back to looking out the window and Darius started reading the back of his juice box, "'no added sugars,' wow."

Yaz stared blankly at her.

"Guys?" Sammy asked. "Hello? Wait, do you guys not see us as friends?"

"I mean..." Brooklyn sighed, "Doesn't it usually take more than a few days to become friends with someone?"

"We were thrown together at random. We have nothing in common." Yaz joined in.

"That's not true! We've been through more together than most friends have in a lifetime." Sammy defended.

"And now that it's over," Ben cut in, "what are the odds that we'll ever see each other again?"

A/N

Short chapter but like I said I have a lot going on. I didn't mean to end it yet but I feel like it's better here then not at all so here ya go. Plus I'm not looking forward to Ben "dying" so this chapter is being cut short before I procrastinate more and don't write for a few days so here ya go and hope you all are prepared for the next chapter to be a little sad. You're welcome 😇.