Epilogue: Thirteen

The trees were dancing in the wind that morning; they seemed stronger than this when we were thirteen. I guess I can say I am joyous we grew out of climbing trees. I recall Caspian and I used to saunter around fields, chasing each other with the most cheerful laughs. At this age, the seasons are starting to shift. When we chase, we are no longer confined within the games of the field.

Still, we shared knowledge our union would never breathe life. As the tribe leader's son, it would be forbidden for him to create such a volition with those of my kind, if he ever knew of my truth. He would be banished by his father, and risk being sent to death. I would be burned at the stakes. Even the shame of a broken family ran the risk of this.

"Child, someday I will wither away and what we have will be no more. You are without a father and I am without any other family. You must learn to be resilient on your own. You must never speak of what we are capable of."

Mother had always been one for caution. I suppose I see her reason; as an enchantress, one can never be too careful. Perhaps she could read my face or maybe it was her own intuition that prompted her next words.

"I worry for I sense an extremity shall follow you til you are made dust. This amulet should protect you," she placed, as an enchantment I always thought of as idle murmur flew from her.

I never quite knew what such pieces of class were made from, I just know they are not always what they seem. To the rest of the village, it was nothing but an heirloom to distinguish from the lowly. To my dearest, Caspian, it made for the best accessory to the sheen of my eyes.

"Fascinating how such an object could bring out one of what I love most about you," my lover chimes, "if I knew from better, I would think prowess was brought with it." Twenty-one years of age and he still emitted a whimsical youth as I first knew him to possess.

If I foresaw the trouble to come, I would have fought to stay in those moments with him forever.

--

The bellows of the horns are growing louder now and I find time is leaving less room than I would find agreeable.

It was eight days ago when the entirety of the home we've known for our whole lives shunned me for the knowledge of my mother's abilities became known. It was soon after when the crowds went against Caspian as well.

By the festering defiance of the community's main river, I wept. A longing for a love never to be fulfilled lingered over my being. Spirals were drawn as the droplets smashed into cities of their own. The world felt eerily light for such a moment of dismay.

--

It was a few short steps from the village when I caught the faint inklings of a woman pleading. If I knew, I would have ran from my walk; if I knew, I would have returned several moments earlier to warn my own mother. From misery, I returned to my home as my vessel of life was attempting to free herself from the ties of a gnarly vine. Tribesmen were all around. Familiar faces I was quite keen with sneered hatred and callous consideration as I passed.

"That witch! She has killed my son!" Were the words I first received. "Set fire to the wretched being never fated to bring death to the life of my own bairn."

Another voice edged from the crowd, "That girl is of her own. Set fire to her as well! We must rid ourselves of these foreign creatures!"

My mother held my gaze and I knew then of the path she threatened to take. Her eyes softened as she silently pledged her love to me.

Those were the last words I discerned when the world turned dark. I was falling. My mother had led me from the place but brought herself deeper into the woods.