Chapter 1

He staggered in the log cabin shivering all over. Tony's clothes were wet all through. He saw a fire place and rushed toward it, but stopped dead in his tracks when he heard a voice behind him say,"Hello young man." He turned around and saw that the speaker was a man in rags. "Bad weather isn't it?" asked the stranger. "Y-y-yes", he staggered. "Yep, just came from outside mih self. 'Bout two minutes before you came. Not a pretty sight. After all, there be some ghosts out there".

"Ghosts?" He stared at the stranger in astonishment. "Yeah, ghosts" repeated the stranger,"Mih friend came here, same reason as you. Said he went out fer a walk and he never came back." At the same time they heard screams. Tony looked out the window and there before his eyes he saw what looked like a white figure dragging someone out into the forest.

His heart beat rapidly. The stranger did not look at all surprised. "Happens every year", he said, "they all gotta take someone who be just strollin' by to make a 'sacrifice'." Tony looked at the stranger in disbelief. "Has anyone made it out alive?" he asked. "Only one or two people made it out, but that was only because they made a bargain with the ghosts."

"And what's the bargain?" Tony asked the stranger. "They had to take people who walk by and carry them to the ghosts!" he explained, "stupid. Just stupid!" "But will they be sacrificed too?" Stupid boy, he mumbled, always asking questions. But he said out loud,"Yes. Once you bargain with with the ghosts you always end up dead." 

Tony moved away from the window. He had had enough. He had to get out of here before the ghosts get him. He opened the door of the cabin. The wind howled and water sprayed against his face. He turned to see if the ghosts were still there. Good, he thought, the're gone. So,without a moment to lose, he turned and ran without looking back.