1. NUESTRA FAMILIA

14 September 2156
Mateo and I are on our beds, we look at the stars from my bedroom window. We clutch each other's hands as we see to shooting stars create beautiful lines and patterns in a quick glistening millisecond. " I love seeing this. I wish we could do this every night." Says Mateo as he captures a photo with his iPhone. He takes a good shot of the two shooting stars and posts it to his Instagram story. " Ooh that's a great one! airdrop to me! I love it" I beamed excitedly. There's only a few more days left of school before the holidays break out and Mateo is going away to Brisbane with our school's competitive gymnastics team, we are so proud of him for achieving the top 3 slots in the state finals last week he competed at in Canberra. He's going to nationals in Brisbane! I'm so excited for him! My twin brother going to nationals interstate from Sydney!

I went downstairs to the kitchen and opened up the fridge for a little midnight snack. There was watermelon, strawberries and a few slices left of our chocolate cake that I made for a food technology assignment at school. I grabbed all three containers and brought it upstairs for both of us to eat. I hope that mum doesn't come into our room and catch us eating so late at night. It feels quiet without Ted this week, Ted normally makes our house feel more cheery and vibrant plus when he stays with us for the week, we feel like being part of a more Aussie family more than Latin Americans.

I feel like living in Sydney is a diverse range of cultures and flavours, Latin Americans/ Hispanic people like our family are pretty rare around our city, We celebrate different holidays to what Australia normally observes. I didn't really think much of Australia Day until Mum started dating her fiancé. Ever since Ted has been part of our family, we then started our Australia Day tradition of visiting his family down in Wollongong. Wollongong is a town down south of Sydney, it's a distant and crazy place with some cool things to offer like the airplane museum and a go kart park.

Ted's family are very welcoming. He has three brothers, Uncle Graham, Uncle Mick and Uncle Paul. Uncle Mick always wore his favourite hat which was a replica of an American Indian tribal feathered hat. We were intrigued by the textures and colors of the headpiece.

Mateo and I enjoy eating Tamales, Our Grandma ( Mum's side) makes great red hot pork tamales. They are so spicy that I have to gulp down heaps of water before I can have another one. It's just the sentimental feeling when you are eating food from your heritage and how you can channel that into mealtimes