Chapter 3

had been two days since the revelation, and she hadn't ventured out of her room. Thandi, Mel, and her aunt had visited, ensuring that she ate something. She had considered leaving her room but had a peculiar reluctance, as if she could sense him, she decided to stay put. She could feel his presence lingering in the air, his scent wafting around her. It was the mate bond her aunt had explained. She had lived with Sive practically her whole life and barley registred his presence – suddenly she somehow knew he was around.

Her aunt had explained that the mate bond forces them to be around each other. The need to be around each other would grow everyday as though it was urgeing them to be together but what about her?

Today, she hadn't planned to leave her room either, but she needed to pick up her new MacBook and accessories she had ordered before her arrival. Today marked the deadline, and if she didn't collect them, she would lose her chance. She had waited four weeks for her laptop she refused to let it slip away just because of a boy. Even if that boy happened to be her mate.

The word "mate" circled incessantly in her mind. Shaking her head, she decided it was time to clear her thoughts. The drive to the mall was forty-five minutes long, a journey she hoped would serve as a distraction. She intended to pick up her items, perhaps get her nails done, and enjoy a quiet lunch at the park. Anything was more preferable than remaining confined in her room, drowning in thoughts of her newfound connection.

She quickly got dressed, opting for comfort in grey leggings, a Calvin Klein grey hoodie, and her white Air Max sneakers. Her curly hair, a natural cascade of curls, had been braided, preserving the style she liked. Casting a last glance in the mirror, she felt satisfied with her appearance.

With her essentials in her handbag, she headed downstairs. The house was unusually quiet for a Sunday; her uncle and aunt typically spent their mornings together. Thandi had mentioned that she and Thato had gone to visit his sister, who had recently given birth. Mel and Dan were probably holed up in their home.

If she had known the house would be empty, she would have left earlier. Closing her bedroom door quietly, she hurried down the stairs.

"You've never been one to sneak out," her uncle's voice greeted her in the kitchen where her car keys were.

Damn she had almost made it without being noticed. "Uncle," she smiled, turning to face him.

"I understand these past few days have been tough. You haven't even talked to your old man," he said with a gentle smile.

She sighed, acknowledging his point. "I'm sorry," she said, walking closer to him. They shared a hug, and he kissed her forehead.

"Where are you off to?" he inquired.

"The mall. I need to pick up some things," she replied.

He glanced around her. "I'm not leaving," he reassured. "Despite my instincts, I missed you all, and I made my promises."

"Okay. I know I'm you're not ready, but if you are —"

"Your doors are always open," she interjected.

"Good. I've missed our daily check-ins," he said, referring to their routine chess matches played online. It was a game that allowed them to connect despite their busy lives, providing him with a way to keep an eye on her. She didn't particularly enjoy chess, but she couldn't refuse him.

"Did you make a move?" she inquired.

"I did. Log in and check," he replied with a smirk.

"I will... I will win again," she teased confidently.

"You've won once, honey – I'm not making that a habit," he retorted.

"I'll tell Auntie you are bullying me," she joked back.