Mika

It was a warm summer evening. Mika and her family lived in a large hollowed out tree. She had two older sisters and an older brother. She was the runt of the litter.

"Mama? Can I go collect berries?" Asked Mika.

"Sure. Be careful." Said her Mother.

"I will be Mama." Said Mika and walked away.

She walked through the forest until she came across a large huckleberry bush. She had a mouthful of huckleberries and was about to go home when something ran past her knocking her over causing all the berries to fall out of her mouth.

"Hey! That was my rabbit!" Shouted a voice behind her.

She turned around to see a cougar and a wolf.

"I'm sorry. You can have it! I don't mind. My name's Fern! What's your's? " Asked the wolf happily.

"Sorrel, not that it's any of your business and no I don't want a rabbit with your germs on it." Hissed the cougar.

"Oh no! Are you okay?" Asked Fern when she saw Mika.

"I think so." Said Mika shyly.

"Are you sure? I can go get help! Oh no, oh no, oh no!" Cried Fern.

"I'm okay. Thank you though." Said Mika.

"No problem! I'll walk you back to your home." Said Fern.

"Thank you." Said Mika.

"Hate to break up this totally beautiful moment but we got to go. Now!" Shouted Sorrel.

"Why?" Asked Fern.

"Look!" Said Mika. A fire was spreading across the forest.

"Oh no! I have to get back to my pack!" Screamed Fern and ran off.

"Good luck bear." Said Sorrel and ran off.

"My name's Mika!" She called after her but she didn't turn back. Mika ran through the blazing forest towards her home. She got to her home but inside the tree all she found was burnt tufts of fur and claws.

"Mama!" Shouted Mika. She ran out of the tree and through the forest until she reached the river. She jumped in but the current was too strong and she was pulled under. She swam to the surface and tried to gasp for air but was pulled under again. Then all of a sudden something grabbed her and pulled her out of the water.

It was Fern. She pulled Mika onto the shore.

"Fern! Help me!" Said Mika when she stopped shaking.

"It's okay! You're out of the water." Said Fern.

"No! It's my mama and siblings! They're gone!" Cried Mika..

"It's going to be okay. Don't worry." Said Fern softly.

"I'm scared Fern." Whimpered Mika.