15 - Elijah

I knew I shouldn't have fucked with Birdie's ex, but if she wasn't going to put that asshole in his place, someone needed to. Besides, nothing I said wasn't true. She would be screaming my name, I just didn't know if it would be in pleasure or pain.

The more time I spent with her, the more I wanted to know about her. Unfortunately, the lights dimmed as the previews began for our movie, and I wouldn't uncover more of her secrets for a few hours. Not that I was complaining. Sitting next to her in a dark room was a nice consolation prize. Her arm pressed against mine as we balanced on a shared armrest's edge. Her hand was constantly delving between my legs to grab handfuls of popcorn.

"Do you have any napkins?" she whispered, leaning so close to me I could smell the candy and butter on her lips. I wanted to reach out and run my tongue over them to see if they tasted as good as they smelled. Instead, I grabbed her salty fingers, sucking the tips into my mouth. She stiffened, her eyes watching my tongue run over her soft flesh. Even in the dark, I knew her skin was pink. I wanted to see if that color traveled all across her body.

"Thanks," she whispered as she exhaled.

"I like that," I replied.

"What?"

"How you thank me for touching you."

A shiver rolled through her, her head dipping in embarrassment. She wasn't used to someone talking to her the way I do. But I was becoming addicted to her innocent little reactions to me. I took it as an opportunity to get closer. "You cold?"

I pushed up the armrest and wrapped my arm around her, pulling her against my side.

"Thanks."

I chuckled, shaking my head as my attention focused back on the film.

***

The movie flew by in what felt like minutes. As much as I wanted to spend more time with Birdie, I had felt my phone vibrate no less than a dozen times. I assumed a few calls were from Alyssa, but seven of the messages were from Greek. Someone had a job for me, and time was of the essence.

A man had beaten his girlfriend's daughter to death and the law was on the verge of taking a deal and allowing him to keep his life. Some very important people in her family wanted justice. I was glad another job was taking precedence over Birdie. At least it gave me more time to get to know her.

"I'm going to have nightmares," Birdie admitted with a giggle as I walked her toward her apartment.

"That movie wasn't even that scary," I teased, shaking my head.

"Oh, come on. What's scarier than zombies?"

"Taxes," I quipped. "Give me your phone." I waited as she dug through her bag and held it out to me. I quickly typed a message out to myself and handed it back to her. "Now you have my number. If you need me to check under your bed, just give me a call."

Birdie rolled her eyes as she fought against a smirk.

As we got to her building, I walked her up to her door and waited for her to find her keys.

"I had fun today," she admitted, her teeth raking over her lower lip, causing my attention to go to her mouth. "Maybe you can stalk me again sometime."

I smirked before my eyes danced over her door. "I was serious earlier. If you need anything, you can call me."

"I appreciate that," she replied, her gaze drifting to my mouth.

I reached out, running the pad of my thumb across her lip, sliding it along her jaw, and feeling her pulse hammering beneath her delicate flesh. I wanted to kiss her, but I knew I wouldn't want it to end until I was buried inside her, and I had a job I couldn't ignore.

"Don't forget to lock your door. Can't be too careful," I warned. I pressed my lips against her forehead, my fingers flexing around her throat. As I pulled back her eyes fluttered open. "Sweet dreams, Birdie."

I watched her take two backward steps before reluctantly closing the door between us. Seconds later the familiar click of her deadbolt locking rang out. I smirked, bending down to grab the discarded grocery bag she's left outside earlier in the day.