Chapter 1 - My Life

It was a chilly evening of March 1965 at a lowly place called Sear in North Dakota. The place was popular at some point due to a legend which stated that castles were built in the olden days where kings hid treasures. Some people believe that some kings might be still alive in those castles. I quietly replay a memory of my grandmother telling me stories of stunning sceneries and breathtaking balls. I look over my shoulder and see people on the streets, finding ways to sleep so that animals or insects won't disturb them.

Bullshit, I say.

I leave the shop I was part-timing at as I lock the doors and grab the key. It's crazy how people forget that all the treasures compiled by this town were stolen by a king.

Well-known, too : Lord Leonard Hughes, credited for keeping America's treasure safe. I turn the corner to the alley and walk through it, staring at the flickering lights and the animals at my feet, chittering as they scatter away. Yeah, right. He was a lying cheapskate, not worthy of such titles.

But no one knows that. How would they? People made 'heroic' stories about everything, giving him reasons for all his actions. I make my way towards a musty looking house and knock on the door lightly. It creaks with every knock, letting out a squeak as it opens. An older man, taking a smoke, stands there.

"Here's the keys, Frank." I hand him the keys as he removes the stick from his mouth. A drag follows and he lets out, "You'll be there tomorrow right? Zo's bailing on me. Trust me, you'll be paid the right amount. I need you there, Arsh."

I internally sigh as I respond, "I'll be there." He gives me a weak smile as he closes the door and I turn around.

Leonard, hope you're paying in hell.

Dirty cement grabs at her shoes as she tries walking as fast as she can. Night has already crept into this part of town as she finally reaches her destination. Beautiful light bulbs decorate a lively environment, alien to the neighborhood around. Multiple security guards, decked out halls and golden architecture. Furniture standing still, although she stares for a little longer than usual, as if it'd fly away anytime soon.

 Furniture standing still, although she stares for a little longer than usual, as if it'd fly away anytime soon

This was her life from now on. It felt like a simulation.

As if it were a dream. She walks through all the halls and into a tiny pathway, which looks like it's hiding in plain sight. She walks into the path and down a stairway. More like a nightmare, she finds herself thinking. She goes down one flight of stairs and finds a tiny room with a door marked '1E2AB'.

Funny. Even their rooms are marked, as if they'd forget which room was for what.

She walks in and sees her father preparing their beds, in the middle of this room. "Hey, Arsh! Are you hungry?" "I'm fine, no worries." She walks off to see her younger brother and grandma, chatting. "Pumpkin! What's wrong, are you feeling well?" "I'm good, granny. 'Sup, buttercup?"

"Arshie! I missed you!" He goes in for a hug, which doesn't go unreturned.

Time moves a little quicker as she gets ready for bed, dreading the day in front of her. Her first day of school in Sear Coastal, a public school full of puny rich kids. "Goodnight, my dear." Her mom whispers in her ear, as she returns the wish.

Here goes nothing.

-THE END-