The Tidevill Loft

The crashing of thunder echoed through the air as a bolt of lightning struck a nearby light. As the glass roof of Vicarstown shook from the loud boom. Timothy, Edward, and a mainland diesel sat under the large glass roof as the station sat empty, and soft music came from the speakers. They sat there with empty coaches and trucks...listening to the storm around them.

"The bridge is most likely going to be closed even after the storm passes," the mainland diesel muttered as she sat there, her engine cooling off. The three engines were left at the station due to a few broken signals, but the three didn't mind. "Mhm, it seems like that will be the case," Edward sighed as he looked around and chuckled. "Gosh, this place sure is creepy at night," Edward laughed. "Perfect for ghost stories," he added with a teasing smile toward Timothy. The small oil-burning engine just rolled his eyes in amusement "Yeah yeah, alright," Timothy scoffed as he let out a long yawn. Another crash of thunder echoed around the station, making the three engines and their trains wince. "Sheesh," the diesel said as she sighed, her number 144012 reflecting in the dull light of the few station lights still on.

The rain hit the window above them harder and harder before they heard a voice speak up. "You three, alright?" The Fat Controller asked, making the three engines jump in surprise, the Controller laughing at this. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you three," the Fat Controller snorted as he sat on the station platform. "I came up here to check on you three, I'm sorry you all are stuck up here," the Fat Controller said, and the engines gave understanding smiles. "Don't worry, sir, I understand," 144012 said before another crash of thunder made her windows vibrate. "Edward was about to tell ghost stories," Timothy scoffed, and Edward gave him a look before 144012 spoke up. "Aww, what's wrong? The little engine scared of some ghost stories?" She teased, and Timothy went red in the face from anger and shyness. "Shut up!" He barked, causing the others to laugh... before the Pacer spoke up. "If you wanna tell stories, I got one" he then looked at the Fat Controller "I think you might wanna hear this too sir, it seems like the thing you would like," she said calmly as everyone looked towards the mainland diesel curiously. "Oh? Well, go ahead, " the Fat Controller said with curiosity before the engine started. "This story was being told just a few weeks ago, I'm surprised you don't know about it. This story took place on the Tidevill Loft."

Many miles away from the Island of Sodor, there is an old branch line that runs from town to town. It was a very long line with a single large bridge going over a gap known as The Loft. The Loft is a very old bridge, with each section being nicknamed different things with the highest section being nicknamed the High Posts. It was a very popular tourist spot. However, despite the line being owned and maintained by the mainland, their engine is very unique. Actually, before coming here, this engine was the only steam engine I had ever seen. A red engine from the LMS, a Fowler 4F, I think, named Stott.

"Hey, Stott! Can you move these trucks into the siding, please? A worker yelled as the 6-wheeled engine glanced back, giving a quiet wheesh and a smile before puffing out from under the water tower. Stott was a dirty engine. Some say that you would think he was painted black by the time the workers would get him to let them wash his paint. But that wasn't the strangest thing about this engine. Some say Stott has a...split personality. When on the job he would remain so quiet that many would think he couldn't speak and would become moody and easily annoyed, yet off the job, it was almost impossible to make him upset or get him to shut up. It was a spring day when I met him, I had just been assigned to a new route to test out my modifications and was stopping at the first station when I saw Stott puff up, a flat look on his face before pulling under a water tower after leaving his coaches at the platform...that was when I noticed his complete change in attitude, even his face looked different before he spoke to me.

"Ah, welcome! Welcome! To our little station!" Stott laughed in a showman-like voice before chuckling in amusement. "Names Stott, I assume you are the new girl running the other line?" He asked as he gestured towards the V just on the other side of the station platform. "Oh, uh, yes! Yes, I am! What...are...you? Are you gas? What's with the smoke?" I asked before Stott laughed in amusement. "Gosh, you are making me feel my age!" Stott grinned mischievously before coughing and whooshing steam. "I'm a Steam Engine," Stott cooed as my eyes widened. "Oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't - I uh!-" I was interrupted by Stott's full-sounding laugh as tears rolled down his face, trying to catch his breath. "Don't worry lass, you are not the first one" Stott snickered "alot of modern engines don't know what steam engines are, besides those who have gone to Sodor or worked with the likes of Scotsman" Stott explained as the water flowed down into his tender. "I uh...I mean I heard of steam engines before I just kinda...you know...uh-" I paused to figure out my words, but Stott was seemingly able to read my mind as he spoke up. "Expected me to be bigger? Yeah, I know I'm kinda small, " Stott said, making a strange duck-faced pouty face that made me laugh so hard that I sneezed.