Chapter 2

The dwarf in front of me had an air of familiarity about them yet I also felt like I was meeting them for the first time. "How be ye, Lyland Harbinger? Mighty fine day in Grimmelwold, ain't it?" I wanted to respond to my fellow dwarf, but my tongue was stayed. No words would come, nor would my limbs obey my commands so I could give the dwarf a proper dwarven greeting. "How be ye, Lyland Harbinger? Mighty fine day in Grimmelwold, ain't it?" The dwarf repeated himself. I glanced up and noticed his name above his head. "Skaldruck Ashblade" Odd, I'd never known anyone to have their name on full display. It didn't seem the hospitable thing to do to not introduce yourself properly. Come to think of it, I hadn't introduced myself yet Gerald already knew my name. Did I have my name floating above my head? Before I could fully delve into that question I suddenly found myself sitting down unprompted on the cold, stone bridge at the entrance to Grimmelwold, then drifting off to sleep.

"You almost here dude?"
"Yeah man."

Lyle looked down at his fuel gauge. It was just above "E". "This is the worst time to need gas" he thought as he gunned it to the police station. He figured he could get gas after he figured out what the hell was going on with Kelly and why she had "You're next" written on a picture of him in blood.

His phone dinged as "New Message From: Kelly" appeared on his car's display. He pressed "Show Message" suspicious of what Kelly might have to say.

"Don't go to the police station, Lyle. Run as far away as you can. They know who we are."

Lyle pulled over to the shoulder of the road. This was too much. Who were they? Who are we? What was going on here?

Lyle's phone dinged again.

"Why'd you pull over, dude?"

*Kelly sent you $200*
"Use this for gas and a burner phone. Call me once you have it. Don't let Mike know I messaged you.