𝔈 ℑ 𝔊 ℌ 𝔗

We just sat opposite each other like two strangers. Two strangers with shared memories. All around us, the sounds of the café had coalesced into one rumbling mass, but we were just teasing each other, as if it were our last moment, trying to remember every little moment, every tremor of the other. Even though I'd only seen Amane for a week, it felt like he'd changed. His features had become sharper, dark shadows under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept enough in days, yet I found him handsome. A tiny smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, his amber eyes sparkling brightly as he surveyed every inch of me with his gaze. I fidgeted slightly under his meticulous gaze, but I had no intention of breaking our tense silence.

Suddenly, a waitress came to our table and placed our drinks at the bar in front of us. My gaze was immediately drawn to my orange-scented iced coffee, and I inhaled the familiar aroma with pleasure.

"Would you like anything else?" She still hadn't moved from our table, and it was as if she was addressing Amane alone. She leaned forward so that he could get a perfect view of her plump curves. I stared at him through clenched teeth, but deep down I was unsure. I knew that this girl was a perfect reflection of Amane's taste, I had no chance of competing with her, and for some reason it filled me with helpless anger. Suddenly the whole meeting felt completely pointless.

But to my utter surprise, Amane didn't even glance at her cleavage, instead giving her a faint smile to let her know that her services were not required. My jaw hit the floor, but I tried to keep my impassive mask on.

"You look tense." Amane's voice interrupted me. The guy sitting opposite me turned his gaze back to me, and a blush of embarrassment crept over my face.

I shrugged at his statement and took a sip of my iced coffee. Amane drank his own coffee and we were silent again for a few minutes.

"I heard you and Mei broke up," I remarked sickly, as if I hadn't heard it all from him. He lifted his head and finally fixed hos gaze on mine for a moment.

"Yes. It was about time." He nodded slowly.

"And how did it all happen?" I asked, still feigning ignorance, although I was genuinely curious to know his answer.

"I simply realized that we were no longer a good match at all. We saw the world in a completely different way, and we had nothing in common, so when we met I told her it was over." The boy replied frankly.

I gave a small nod of acknowledgement, wondering what to do next, but luckily Amane just took a sip of his coffee and continued.

"Actually, I'm not sad about it at all, I feel like the world has opened up to me. I can look at anyone, make out with anyone, but I'm a bit lacking in a relationship." His ambiguous words gave me the creeps, but I tried not to show how his words affected me.

"Well, you can get almost any girl here, so I don't think you'll be alone for long." I watched with satisfaction as my words hit their mark, but other than a slight twitch in his face and darkened eyes, he showed no change.

"Yes, but perhaps I was already looking at someone who was a rather reserved sort." His eyes sought mine, but I was busy stirring my coffee.

"Maybe she's just afraid of the consequences because she's already fallen for you once." My statement was followed by a few minutes of tense silence.

"Let's stop talking in circles, Nene," Amane said, breaking the silence and ending our subdued exchange.

"That kiss wasn't a mistake, I should have broken up with Mei back then, but you have to understand that it's not easy for me either. I was living my quiet, normal life and then you came along and I don't know what to think."

"Amane, we barely know each other, maybe we should give it some time," I tried to convince him, even though I knew exactly how he felt. I was captivated by him from the first moment we met, but attraction alone is not enough for a lasting relationship.

"Look Nene, here's the salt and here's the pepper," Amane lifted the two small bottles from the table after a few minutes of thought, "they're not so good separately, but together they season the food and make it better."

"But when salt is mixed with sugar, it spoils not just that one dish, but the whole meal. How can anyone know who their salt is? You can't take any chances, and I don't trust you Amane." the boy's eyes grew wide as I finished my sentence.

"What do you mean, Ne? I broke up with Mei because of you!" He hit the table.

"Yes, that's true, and I still can't really believe it, but what if we get together and I end up like Mei after a few months? You know, Amane, I'm serious when I say we should give each other time, because what's forced never works." I stood up at the end of my words, took the price of my coffee from my purse, put it on the table and left the café with quick steps.

I didn't stop until I got home. At home I threw myself on the couch and buried my face in my hands. I did not regret for a moment what I had said to Amane, but I felt that I had perhaps gone a little too far. I could see the ambition in the boy, but at the same time I couldn't trust people as easily as I used to.

Once you break a mirror, no matter how much you try to fix it again, the marks of the break will still be there, and you'll never get a full picture of yourself in it anymore.

I turned onto my back and started to stare at the ceiling. Memories of that old party crept back into my mind. The way my boyfriend's palm was on another girl's waist, the way his lips were teasing a stranger's mouth. I recalled the shock that had run through me then, the denial that it was definitely not Kou, just a boy who looked a lot like him, and then the anger and sadness that filled every inch of me as he pulled away from her face and the familiar blue eyes bored into mine.

"What have you done to me Kou Minamoto?" I whispered into the darkness, my former boyfriend having locked me in my own shell, unable to trust people anymore when I had a chance for happiness.

Sad and in doubt, I was pushed away by a dreamless sleep that might have promised me a better day.

↪️To be continued↩️

.·:*¨༺ ◇ ༻¨*:·.
Hello! After a long absence, the new chapter is finally here, and it has a lot of dialogue, but I hope that's not a problem for anyone. :)
Thanks for your patience! If you liked the chapter, vote, comment or if you are curious about my work, follow me ♡

Word count: 1228
Published: 28th of October