CHAPTER 1 (BEFORE)

"And cut."

Daisy looked up from where she had been sitting on the bleachers. Hyunjin's voice boomed through the field. The pages in her hands fluttered as a strong wind blew past.

It was nine o'clock on a Saturday morning and Daisy wanted to be snuggled in her bed back at home. Instead, here she was, walking on an empty school field, shivering in her parka.

Hyunjin was rewatching the scene he had just recorded and judging by the twitch of his eyebrows, he wasn't satisfied. Some other kids were huddled around him and Daisy had to wonder what Hyunjin had ended up bribing them with for them to come to school on a weekend.

She came up behind them and looked at the scene unfolding on the screen. The guy on the screen was walking down the field, talking to the girl he was supposed to be having a crush on. Daisy remembered writing that part, it wasn't supposed to be something super romantic, but she doesn't remember it being this dry either.

There was supposed to be this subtle glance that the guy gave and it was supposed to symbolize this softness blossoming between them. But the guy Hyunjin had chosen looked at the girl like she had stolen his kidneys last night.

Hyunjin made a noise at the back of his throat like he was trying to stop himself from throwing up. Dong-Min on the other hand looked very pleased with his performance. Daisy knew he wasn't very bright but she didn't know he was blind too.

Satisfied that the scene looked drier than the chicken served in their cafeteria, Hyunjin said, "Let's all take ten."

The small crowd around them dispersed but Daisy stuck close by. She knew the words that were about to come out of Hyunjin's mouth even before he said them.

"Dong-Min needs to go."

Daisy must have nodded a little too enthusiastically because she heard a clink in her neck. "I don't think he understood that this is supposed to be a romantic scene."

Hyunjin agreed. "He looked like Eun-Hee had a knife to his throat. My dog can act better than this."

Daisy knew they were both skating around the main issue. So it wasn't a surprise when they both burst out at the same time, "You tell him."

Daisy argued, "You were the one who cast him. You do it."

"But you were the one who suggested he would be the only one willing to work on the weekend. I chose him because of you. You do it."

They stared at each other for a couple of seconds. the wind blew loose strands of her hair on her face. daisy pushed them behind her ear and replied, "Let's be mature about it."

"Rock, paper, scissors?"

"Two out of three."

This was how she found herself standing before Dong-Min and saying, "I don't think your personality matches the direction in which we want this character and movie to go. It's nothing personal. I am really sorry."

Dong-Min for his part looked dumbstruck as if Daisy had grown a second head on her neck. She thought she had been very precise and kind with her wording. Yet, Dong-Min stood before her gaping like a fish.

"Dong-Min?"

"We can try the scene again?" he suggested and Daisy almost felt bad for him. How could she explain to him that instead of looking like he was falling in love, he just looked straight up constipated?

She cleared her throat. "I don't think this is something a retake can better. But we are really grateful for all that you have done so far."

Her words seemed to deflate him further. He looked like he might argue with her again before he could do that Daisy patted his arm pathetically and dashed away.