Chapter Six: Closer

Eventually Ardeth yielded to the heat, stripping down to the dark linen pants he wore. It wasn't that it was taboo, he was fully allowed to be shirtless in front of people, but more so of the company. He'd never really been shirtless in front of anyone but his crew of warriors, often they'd train that way in the heat of the desert. And sure, he'd been shirtless in front of women, naked even, but this was a completely different scenario— this was leisure.

The Carnahans and the O'Connells had barely noticed Ardeth's disrobing, his change of mind, and had continued to frolic and play in the water like the group of twenty-somethings they were. Evy squealed as Rick attempted to dunk her and Molly floated leisurely on her back, gazing up into the blue of the sky.

With Rick and Evy's attention on each other, Ardeth made his way into the water and waded towards where Molly was floating. Sensing the rippling of the water, Molly returned to an upright position, looking towards the shore. She smiled as she spotted Ardeth moving toward her.

'I knew you'd give in." Molly said as he stopped in front of her.

'It's hot." Ardeth replied.

Molly eyed him, took in the way the water was glistening on his tanned skin, 'It sure is."

She hadn't meant the weather, nor the water of the oasis which was not exactly cold. She held out a hand for him and pulled him closer to her. He smiled and took it, and she pulled him in close.

She was playing a dangerous game. She smirked as he finally reached her and she looped her arms around his neck.

'This is nice," Molly sighed, and he murmured his agreement, 'You seem to know all of the best places. I guess that happens when you grow up somewhere."

Ardeth nodded, 'I used to swim here with my friends."

'That makes sense." Molly replied, her breath catching as her chest brushed his.

Ardeth's jaw clenched at the sensation. Her chest was not exactly small, and it was almost impossible to ignore. He didn't dare glance down at the wet fabric covering her chest, would offer her the modesty.

'Just so you know, just because we kissed and said all those things, doesn't mean we have to go any further." Ardeth said, tracing her waist beneath the water, 'You get to choose, just like everyone should. If you do not want me, I'll step away."

'Why in the world would you think I wouldn't want you?" Molly questioned, brushing a copper curl back from his face.

'You are a proper western woman, I am Medjai, our cultures are quite different."

'And I love that." She stated, 'I have been in love with Egypt and its culture since I was a child. It makes sense I would fall in love with an Egyptian."

'You are in love with me?" Ardeth questioned, surprised.

A surprising blush spread over Molly's cheeks, and she huffed a nervous laugh, 'I...um...yeah. Ardeth, I love you."

'I have loved you since that night at Hamunaptra, when you were walking alone."

'When you warned us to leave." Molly replied, 'Imagine how different our lives would have been if we had listened to you."

'Apart from the horrors that were unleashed, I am glad you didn't listen." He replied, 'Your stubbornness is...both admirable and terrifying."

'Terrifying? Do I frighten you, Ardeth?" Molly teased, brushing her fingers over his facial hair.

'Oh completely," he stated, his dark eyes strong on hers, 'A beautiful, intelligent woman who is in love with me. I am completely at your mercy."

Molly took a deep breath at that. No one had ever said anything like that to her, never gave her any inkling of her having that sort of power. That was frightening to her as well. It was clear he would do anything for her.

'Teach me how to fight." Molly said then, 'I know how to fight the western way, know how to use a gun, but I'd like to learn your way. How to sword fight.

'You want me to teach you how to fight like a Medjai?"

'Yes."

'If that is what you wish." He replied and a smile broke on her lips.

She arced forward, kissing him excitedly, happily. He froze for a moment but then his arms tightened around her, and he sighed into the kiss. She coiled her fingers into his dark curls, intensifying the kiss and found herself gasping against his full lips.

'Hey! Lovebirds!" Rick's voice broke them from their focus on each other.

Molly pulled back abruptly and eyed Ardeth with a still-hungry gaze. She took a breath and turned towards her brother and Evy. Ardeth's hands lingered on her waist below the water.

'What?" Molly gasped.

'Getting a bit hot and heavy there." Rick replied.

An embarrassed flush came to Molly's cheeks, "I guess you're right."

Ardeth cleared his throat and spoke, 'We should head back to Cairo now.'

'Yes,' Molly said, 'He's right, I'm famished. Let's all go get washed up and have some dinner."

The group agreed and exited the water, heading for where they had left their belongings and horses.