First Date

The Ash Way

ASH KETCHUM'S eyebrow twitched alongside Pikachu's perturbed ear movements as they watched with bemusement as Cilan pranced around a whiteboard.

"Simply put, Ash," he gushed, "my coveted 'win the girl' five step first date plan is a certified three-out-of-three stars course! Its divine quality has been tested over the centuries by countless unknowns from around the world and written down both factually and fictionally to attest to its indomitable success rate. Simply put, you'll have her in the palm of your hands if you follow these steps."

"Um, thanks, Cilan," said Ash, masking his confusion quite well.

"You're most welcome!" enthused Cilan. "Trust me, my Kanto friend. It pleases me so much to be asked advice by thee in regard to that enigmatic corner of the human experience: amour...!"

Once Cilan had finished his overblown monologues, Ash politely excused himself from the room as he prepared for the demonstration match. "Huh...what a plan," he said thoughtfully.

Cilan had been meticulous, mapping out every action and step and placing them in a way that was easy to understand. Ash knew Cilan is a careful and thoughtful thinker and that his assessment of various situations was often the correct. Which is why – PLONK – he threw it into a trash can.

"I appreciate the thought," said Ash quietly to himself, "but I think this is a situation where only I can help myself... If I can even manage. Oh well." He checked his belt and his five other choices of Pokémon. "It's battle time!"

Just a few days prior, Misty had out of nowhere asked him out on a date. He'd only been back from Kalos for a week and after regaling to his Cerulean Gym leading friend his adventures in that region, Misty had seemed...irate. He still really doesn't know the why or how, but somehow that rage had turned into a "go on a date with me" talk.

Despite the weird goings on in the background, Ash battled with aplomb.

***

He knew he couldn't just let Misty be mad with him. He had to find a way to let her vent her stress in a way that didn't end with him getting his eardrums blown up alongside getting hammered with a mallet that she'd somehow have on her person.

"Hmm..." Grabbing his phone, Ash texted her a question, then a request...

Misty blinked in surprise, but she still texted back a 'yes.' She was still puzzled, however. "Huh...? The hell does he have in mind?"

Ash grinned when he saw Misty at the meeting point. Luckily, she'd done as he suggested and wore sports clothes. "Bike shorts as you said... Where're we going?" she quizzed.

"You'll see," he smiled.

Ash made biking look easy as Misty kept up, trying to keep a rhythm to her breathing. He stormed a winding road furiously as he changed bike gears. "Pikachupi!"

He looked back and was relieved and pleased to see that Misty was keeping up with him, he'd always enjoyed that natural tomboy tenacity of hers. "Keep it up, Mist!" shouted Ash.

"Where are you even taking me?!"

"You'll see!"

She rolled her eyes but gritted her teeth all the same and peddled after him.

The destination soon came. At first Misty was cross at stopping in the middle of the road but before she could finish her sentence of indignation, Ash motioned to the side.

"Whoa," she gasped. Before her was a beautiful view of the valley toward Cerulean City. The ocean in the horizon, pretty wisps of clouds above, trees, grass fields, and buildings just able to be seen through the treetops. "Pretty."