Romantic Gestures

The Bundles of Flowers

MISTY WATERFLOWER paced back and forth and forth and back. "Where is he...?" she muttered. She stuffed her hands into her shorts in annoyance at being kept waiting. She checked her phone, 20 minutes past their agreed time.

As a girlfriend she knew could stand to be more patient with her boyfriend, she does love him enough to be forgiving of minor inconveniences, but they were still early in their relationship, and it was annoying that he was tardy. At last, footsteps were heard as a familiar voice shouted apologies.

"Jeez, Ash Ketchum, where the hell do you get the bravery to think I want to wait around for almost half an hour?" she said as she turned to face him.

"How 'bout you find out?" said Ash breathlessly as he pulled out a bouquet of carnations from his backpack.

"Oh, t-thank you." She blushed as she held them. "Why carnations?"

"Well, you did once say you wanted to sere-...seren- sere-thingummy with flowers. I figured you're the type who wouldn't want just the average rose...or at least that's what I thought..."

"Consider yourself correct," sighed Misty as she held the bouquet, lowering her eyes affectionately at them.

It seemed Ash took the flower thing to heart after that. Soon, he began gifting her more and more bouquets of flowers.

On her birthday month he presented her with honeysuckles, saying that with their inherent sweetness as symbol of affection, it was his for her.

"Thank you."

"I'm honestly surprised you're capable of it, meanings and all."

"Well I don't consider myself that bad at- wait, that wasn't a compliment, now was it?"

Misty rolled her eyes. "Took ya long enough."

***

Then one day he approached with a bundle of larkspurs.

"I picked larkspurs because I read that they represent a beautiful spirit and strong bonds of love."

"Aw... But Ash, we...we already have a deep bond. As your girlfriend I love you, from the bottom of my heart. Why double down with flowers?"

"Thanks, that...that means a lot to me. But why all this for me?" She frowned a bit, feeling bad for always being on the receiving end of those gifts. "I mean, I like it, but save your money..."

"It's all for you," said Ash softly. "Because...I like you, Misty."

She blushed but decided to verbally bite back. "You're no Romeo," she huffed.

"...and that's when your Grandpa pulled out yet another bundle of larkspurs. Their beautiful blue hues instantly took my breath away. Then he said 'Misty, the color blue is both sad and glad, and it fits you to a T.' "

"He did?" said a young boy in awe. He turned to face forward. "Aw, that was sweet of you, Grandpa!"

"Wait, Grandma, are you telling June that story again?" interrupted a slightly older boy's voice. "Hey, pipsqueak, come look at this!"

"Um..." June looked to Misty. She sighed gently and nodded. "Bye, Grandpa!" With that, the boy stood up and ran in the opposite direction.

"Young'uns..." said Misty wistfully. "Never enough patience for anything, just like in our youth, huh, Ash?" she said to the photo and gravestone in front of her. The candle whose fire was disturbed by the boy's quick exit soon stabilized again.

"Mm, so we're alone once more." Her eyes lowered to a soft gaze. "I prefer it. Reminds me of when it was just you and me, so simple, so turbulent too... Gives me time to think." The wind picked up and a tree branch above the grave rattled.

Misty laughed. "Yes. I still can't think without some peace and quiet. Gives me time to remember when it was you and me. How long has it been since I lost you...?" A tear welled into her eyes. "Oh...nearly 35 years now. You were only 50 when the accident happened. There's not a day that goes by when I don't miss you."

A small whistle was heard from the tree. "I still have your old cap of course. It's here...well, on Penny's head at least. Her hair's been growing, she looks a lot like you, even at just 15 months old. I'm sorry, though, our Crystal forgot to buy me a bundle of carnations for me this week, even though I told her before she went shopping..."

The wind picked up. Misty winced as a leaf fell and brushed her face. "Now, now. Calm down, calm down," she said, trying to soothe the wind. "Look, I still brought the usual tributes. You must be hungry. Here, your favorite: rice balls with nori." Misty had reached behind her and produced a plate with three rice triangles with a seaweed wrap.

"And your favorite filling," she went on, "Magikarp flakes!" The wind gave a subtle sort of puff. Misty smiled gently.

"Grandma!" yelled two voices. "Come look at this Pokémon."

A woman with black, slightly wavy hair walked within a few yards of where the 85-year-old woman was sitting on her knees. "Need help getting up, Mom?"

"No need, Crystal," replied Misty. "Mama's not that old!"

Crystal nodded. "Boys! Go easy on your Grandmother! She'll look when she's ready."

The wind picked up and blew some leaves at Misty's daughter. "Ash, go easy on our daughter," said Misty very quietly. She heard a 'weird weather remark' from behind. "She forgets from time to time, no different than you every now and then..."

She sighed. "Right, young boys wait for no one." She smiled at the stone column. "Goodbye for now, my love." She stood up, wiping the autumn leaves from her pants as she kept her eyes on the grave.

"One day we'll meet again. It's not long now." She said, clutching her heart. With that, set off to join her grandkids. "Right. What is it? Oh, a Pidgey...and an unusual one too...!"

***

Author's Note: Okay! Bit of a tonal whiplash here with the ending...honestly, at first I couldn't really distinguish this theme from yesterdays (okay, I know I'm running late with these but exhaustion has me by the throat) so the ending kinda had to happen like this to make me feel like they were different enough for my own sanity.

I should note that no, I don't headcanon Ash's death as that early. I wrote the ending first before all the rest and it's a homage to Chizuru's grandparents from Rent-a-Girlfriend. So it was influenced by that.