The Stranger

"Happy Birthday!" I cheered when I saw my sister coming home early from work today and she replied with a warm hug. She turned 25 this year. I and her Friends spent an hour brainstorming for shortlisting a club, done with that I turned to my almirah to fetch a tank top and shorts but the weather outside changed my mind and I picked a pink sweater and black trousers. Although everyone remarks I look pretty in this, I can't ignore the Bulging layer of carbohydrates under my skin, shaped eloquently by the sweater but being already late for the evening and considering my other bad fits in my wardrobe, I disposed of the thought of changing into something else. Determined to be invisible through the evening, I hop in the passenger seat and guide the way to the driver. In the back, I can hear them having fun clicking selfies and giggling. I am a lively person but my mood depends on my looks and I wasn't satisfied today, also I don't like going out a lot as everything seems to taunt me for my body shape from advertisements to Colony Aunties, all propagate the same old notion of a perfect body. My plan of action for today was to become invisible under the dark lighting but my hopes of getting absorbed in the darkness of the club smashed to the ground when all clubs were denied entry because of the Elections, like seriously. I am a responsible citizen, I wouldn't drink that much to create chaos. I can see sadness washing over my sister's face and, to cheer her up, We booked ourselves in a Rooftop restaurant. It has a very nice ambiance and lively vibes. It is all adored with plants and lightning in every corner. It's nice seeing people grooving to the music. Where everyone rushes to the photo booth, I decided to dedicate my time to finding us the perfect spot for the evening. But a tingling sensation was there, From the moment I entered the place till I settled down in my seat, I could sense someone's gaze on me. I take a look around to find the culprit, with one hand caressing my hair down and Within seconds I find him gazing at me, I look down and glued my eyes down to the menu, assuming I miscalculated the situation but, as I forward the menu to my sister. My eyes met his again and his lips curled up in a smile. This was new, as his gaze wasn't creepy at all, different from all I experienced in the past. Usually, I would ignore the person till he gets bored and move on to his next, but I didn't ignore him. His eyes reflected fondness and weren't exploring my body to my surprise but were fixed on my face. Our eyes met occasionally during the Starters and I barely eat anything, I feel so stupid I am acting like 16 years old. Although all those interactions weren't meaningless they gave me a sense of appreciation. As a thought crossed my mind, We only look at something if it pleases us, which means I don't look as bad as I imagine myself. With this, my mood started to lighten up, and slowly I started grooving to the music and engaging in conversation. A smile on my face increased his affection towards me. It was clear on our faces that we yearned for a conversation but the fear of rejection kept us glued to our seats. Soon the DJ reduced the lights and shifted to party music, and a sense of excitement triggered in me, that was long lost. I left my seat and crashed onto the dance floor, joining my sister and her friends there. My body moves in sync with the music and I close my eyes to let the music flow through me. Dancing was my favorite activity back in my teenage but when I gained weight due to thyroid, I avoided it because whenever I stepped onto the floor I could sense their negativity, instead of appreciation. I used to act like I didn't care but it eventually got embedded in me as their reactions turned to bullying."Whoo! you got it, Girl" "Whoa!"I open my eyes to identify the voices and, to my ultimate surprise, they are for me. I take a step back, realizing I'm standing in a circle of admirers. An overwhelming feeling it is, I looked around for the person who gave this confidence back to me, but I couldn't find him. A little disheartened, I try to leave the dance floor and search for him, but my sister pulls me back as the crowd cheers."Once More! Once More! Once More!"This excitement surrounding me pumped me up. I asked the DJ to play my song. As the DJ increased the beat, my steps fastened and my sister smiled proudly at me today, because only she knew how much I love to dance. I danced till my body begged me to take a break. I moved to the railing to take a deep breath and when I looked down. My eyes caught him again, standing on the other side of the road in front of his cab, signaling me Goodbye! I think our next meeting is on destiny.