Book three, chapter twenty

Harry Potter and the Grim Truth. We're cutting it real close to the end!

Chapter twenty: The Biggest Betrayal of All

(this actually felt so cringe to write at one point and i didnt check it AGAIN)

ITS THE THIRD OF DECEMBER!!!

---

Hermione nearly fell on Ron's leg when she screamed. Draco's face had gone unbelievably pale. Black had leapt to his feet. Harry jumped so sharply he felt as if he'd received a huge electric shock.

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," Said Snape, tossing the cloak aside, although careful to keep his wand pointed at Lupin's chest. "Quite useful it was, Potter, thank you."

He was truly quite breathless, but his face was full of suppressed triumph. "You're wondering, surely, how I knew you were here?" he said, his eyes glittering maliciously. "I've just been to your office, Lupin.. You'd forgotten to take your Potion tonight, in all the commotion of exams and that blundering oaf losing his Hippogriff... so I brought along a gobletful. And very lucky I did... lucky for me, of course. Lying on your desk was a certain map... one glance told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight."

"Severus--" Lupin tried, but Snape spoke right over him.

"I've told the headmaster over and over that you've been helping a dear old friend into the castle, and heres the proof. Not even I thought you'd have the nerve to use this rotten old place as your hideout--"

"Severus, you're making a mistake," said Lupin, an urgent tone in his voice. "You haven't heard everything-- I can explain everything! Sirius is not here to kill Harry--"

"Two... ah, no, five more for Azkaban tonight," Snape said, and the smile on his face was infuriating. "I shall be interested to hear how Dumbledore takes this news... he was so convinced you were harmless, you see... a tame werewolf.... And I'm sure he'd been stunned to hear three of his students-- Harry Potter included-- were illegal Animagus?"

"Someone 'll certainly be stunned.." Harry muttered absentmindedly, reaching for his wand.

"What was that, Potter?"

"I didn't say anything, sir. But, I can say, we're not Animagi. I'm not sure what you think you heard, but, I'm sure it wasn't about whatever you're implying."

"I'm not stupid, Potter--!"

"Of course you're not. You're a Professor. I'm just saying, you might have heard wrong."

"This is a waste of my time!" Snape said sharply, and in an instant--

BANG! Thin, snake-like cords burst out from the end of Snape's wand and twisted themselves around Lupin's mouth, wrists, and ankles; He struggled to stand, and fell to the floor shortly, unable to move. Roaring angrily, Black started towards Snape, but he paused mid-lunge when Snape pointed the wand right between his eyes.

"Give me a reason," Snape whispered. "And I will."

It was impossible, in that moment, to tell whose face showed more hatred.

"Professor-- surely-- it- it wouldn't hurt to hear what they've got to say, would it?" Hermione tried, sounding quite breathless. Snape turned to her so quickly it looked as if his neck snapped, and his eyes flickered behind her.

"Mister Malfoy. Your father will be hearing of this. The rest of you... are all facing suspension. You are out of bounds, in the company of a convicted murderer and a werewolf, and three of you have said to be illegal Animagi. For once in your lives, it'd be best for you all to hold your tongues."