Chapter 29

"You know you're my cousin right?" Reid deadpanned after Max ran into my arms

I laughed, hugging her back. "I missed you," she grinned, pushing her cousin in the chest.

He scoffed, looking around to see if anyone else was witnessing what he was. Unfortunately, passengers minded their business, heading to their gate or waiting patiently in their seats. "This is what I get for driving an hour and a half to pick you up?"

Max shook her head and gave her cousin a hug. "Thank you, Reid," she laughed. She stepped back, her eyes turning serious as she looked up at him. "How's Aunt Mary?" Her voice lowered.

Reid's eyes flickered to me before back down at Max. "She's doing better, Dad took her to get help. I'm not sure when they'll be back."

Max nodded, grabbing my hand and pulling me to baggage claim. I looked back at Reid who had a cute little scowl on his face. I giggled, turning back around when he started to follow us.

We went down the escalator and found the station where Max's bag would come out. "So how long are you staying for," I asked her. Reid stood by the baggage carousel, on the lookout for Max's bag.

"Just a week, my mom thought it would be good if I gave Reid some company during this time but it seems like you already beat me to it," she gestured to the ends of his shorts peeking beneath my shirt.

A hot blush spread along my cheeks, a cheeky smile on her face. "I don't know what you're talking about." I lied.

"Please, I know my cousin's style, we grew up together and I visit all the time. I know Reid's shorts when I see them."

I looked down sheepishly at the floor, "Yeah well I had an accident so he gave me some clothes. No biggie."

"An accident, that's what you're calling it." She tilted her head and squinted her eyes not fully believing me.

"Yup," I nodded my head.

Reid came back over with Max's luggage, disrupting whatever questions Max was making up in her head. He sat the sage green suitcase beside her on the ground. "Alright let's get out of here, I miss my bed." He yawned.

I had to take a double on him, I didn't notice how tired he looked this morning. He probably hasn't gotten proper sleep since his mom was rushed to the hospital. His eyes flickered to me, catching mine. He raised an eyebrow playfully.

I snapped my eyes to the glass sliding doors. "Yeah let's go," I said. Max grabbed onto the handle of her suitcase and we walked outside, the hot sun glaring down on us. We wandered through the parking garage until we found Reid's car and buckled in.

Reid drove back to the house, the shades on his face blocking my view of his eyes. Max yapped about how her time was back at home and I listened to her the whole way.