6

The two of you were distant after the fight.

It was a tension that anyone could pick up from just how the two of you would avoid each other at all cost nor refuse to acknowledge each other's presence when present in the same room.

It was a lazy day and you were with Shoko helping her out with her studies inside the classroom. You couldn't stomach hanging out with Suguru since he might be with Satoru at this time.

"So, you still mad at him?" Shoko asked.

You pursed your lips in a thin line and looked away.

"Figures," she commented. "You two were similar after all, stubborn for your good."

Knowing Shoko, she didn't want to be involved with her friends' business and remained neutral on the matter.

"I'm in no position to say this but," she bit her lip after pausing. "You guys are my friends and hopefully things won't be awkward between the two of you,"

"I just needed more time," you replied.

"Take the time you need but don't take too much or it'll be too late to turn back," she said.

You wonder how much time you need.

You were now going with Suguru on almost every mission as what the higher-ups had arranged for the two of you. You can tell how drained he is and lonely from what has happened after the star-plasma vessel incident.

Being with him feels like two lost people who found solace in each other.

Maybe it's fate as Suguru joked about the two of you ending up together in missions.

You laughed bitterly to yourself since it was the same as Satoru told you before you two started dating.

You confided your struggle of being weak and he told you of the same repeating process eating up curses like a rag that has been wiped with vomit.

The two of you stand on a nearby cliff sitting on a bench while watching the distant village you've just exorcised. Somehow,  you find yourself being at peace with Suguru as you lean closer to him yearning for the warmth that you lost.

Your eyes widened in realization and pulled away from him. "I-I'm sorry for invading your personal space—"

He waved his hand dismissively. "It's fine, I don't mind at all," he smiled. "You can lean on me if you still want to,"

Without any hesitation, you leaned closer to him as he put an arm around you.

It feels nostalgic somehow.

It reminds what you and Satoru used to do.

"Suguru, what does it mean to be the strongest?" You asked looking at the horizon and snuggling closer.

Suguru tilted his head looking at you. "Why are you asking me that question?"

"You're one of the strongest people I know aside from him," you replied and turned your head to look at him.

"Strongest huh," he muttered to himself looking at his feet. He knew he lost that title after Riko's death.

"I wish I could be strong." You blurted out of the blue.

Suguru lifts his head turning his gaze at you. "Why would you want that?" He curiously asked.

"So I can protect my loved ones, isn't that what is it all about?" You answered.

"I wish it was that simple," he sighed.

"Tell me Suguru," you said and looked at his brown eyes. "Can the weak be strong?"

"I don't know anymore..." he replied shifting his position.

"You are strong Suguru."

"Am I?" He asked looking at you once again mocking himself.

"I know you are,"

"You are capable of doing anything,"

Suguru stared at you with loving soft eyes that you are familiar with. It was something that he would give you until Satoru would pull you away and start a meaningless fight with you.

Without any words exchanged, both your lips collide. Your eyes went wide for a moment until you leaned closer to Suguru wrapping your arms around his neck to deepen the kiss.

Your mind is telling you that this is wrong yet your heart tells you the opposite.

After a long time, the empty void in your heart has been filled with the yearning you've sought.

You felt guilty after that.