𝟎𝟎𝟐.

-chapter two

-chapter two

"WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO?" Maeve asked, wrapping her arms around her knees as she gazed at the back of Mike's head.

Mike was taken aback by the unexpected question and turned in his chair to meet Maeve's gaze. "It's nothing," he replied.

She scoffed. "Oh, come on, Mike. Why do you always do this?"

He furrowed his eyebrows and swiveled to face her more directly. "Do what?"

"Push me away when I try to get to know you," Maeve said with a huff. "It feels like you don't trust me." She sighed, casting a glance at the sleeping girl beside her.

Mike gulped, feeling ashamed. Maeve was right – he had a habit of pushing people away and shutting them out when they tried to get close.

He couldn't admit it to himself, but he was afraid that he might like Maeve and find solace in her presence as much as Abby did.

It felt to him like he didn't deserve happiness or comfort, not with the memories still haunting him.

But now, he wanted to let his guard down, at least for a moment, to seek comfort from the one person he genuinely liked.

Mike got up from his chair and took a seat in front of Maeve. She tilted her head, waiting for him to speak.

"What do you want to know exactly?" Mike asked, lifting his head and placing one hand on his lap and the other on the floor.

"Why do you always have that poster? And why do you always take sleeping pills?" Maeve inquired raising two important questions.

Mike smiled faintly.  "That's two things."

Maeve playfully rolled her eyes. "Unravel your secrets now, you're so mysterious." A sly grin played on her lips before she broke into a smile.

Mike let out a chuckle before he began. "So, I used to have a brother, his name was Garrett. When I was about twelve, he was... um," he paused, and Maeve nodded patiently, giving him the time to speak.

"He was taken. I was there when it happened, but we never found the guy who did it. We never found my brother.." Mike confessed, his hands fidgeting nervously on the floor. Maeve listened intently, her expression showing empathy.

Mike continued, "So there's this theory that uhh.. we can't forget things. Basically it says that everything you see in your entire life down to the tiniest details. Gets stored inside of you, you just have to know how they work." He looked down at the floor, deep in thought.