In the Dark

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Baela?"

Vaelara whispered, tightening the hood of her cloak around her head. The smell of the city enveloped them and she thought, mayhaps, it would be better for them to go straight to the Red Keep.

"No," Baela whispered before letting out a soft laugh, "But you're the one who said you want to experience pleasure before you're eventually sold off. Besides, Grandmother is still at the tavern. If we arrive at the keep without her, how will it look?

Vaelara snorted. Sold off was a good way to put it; Daemon and Rhaenyra had informed her they would soon begin accepting offers for her hand. She was of age, after all.

"But what if someone sees—"

"No one will see!" Baela insisted. "I've heard that mouths are kept shut when paid well."

Baela pivoted left and then slinked down an alley; Vaelara followed with her heart pounding in her ears.

This is wrong. We're going to be in so much trouble if someone catches us...

Trouble wasn't the worst of it; if they were caught, her reputation would be ruined.

Baela was the one to knock on the door with smooth, sure motions.

"Can I help you?" The woman who answered was breathtaking. A madam, clearly, but stunning, and Vaelara sucked in a sharp breath.

"You can," Baela replied easily. "I've been told that this establishment offers certain...delights for the senses."

"I see..." the madam replied, leaning against the door. "You have the coin to afford such delights?" With a smirk, Baela produced a bag of dragons. Vaelara followed them inside, the pleasant smell of incense replacing the filth of the city as the door closed behind them.

Down a long stairwell and then a darkened hallway they were guided; the sounds of passion drifting all around them, making her flush.

At the end of the hall, the woman gestured for them to enter seperate rooms, leaving Vaelara feeling alone and vulnerable without her half-sister.

"I have a few questions, to help us find someone suitable to your tastes." the madam offered. Vaelara nodded, fighting the urge to fidget nervously. "Have you ever done this before?"

"I've never done anything before," Vaelara admitted bluntly, her ears burning as her face reddened with embarrassment.

"Ah... It's not very often we have a maiden seeking such activities. You are here of your own accord?" she asked, glancing toward the door. It took a moment to realize she thought Baela had forced her to come here.

"Yes, of course," she replied.

"Do you have any requests or inclinations—"

"I just want someone who will take his time and won't hurt me." Vaelara answered. "I'm looking for pleasure, not to be mounted like a mule."

"Perhaps you might find you like that sort of thing," the madam teased with a smirk. "In any case, I have someone in mind. You know how this works?"

"Yes. No lights, no names."

"And, when you leave, you speak of this place only with those you trust absolutely."

"Of course," Vaelara agreed.

"Very good." The woman crossed the room and blew out the candles, closing the door behind her and leaving Vaelara in the dark to contemplate how stupid she was being. The seconds seemed to drag on as she held her breath, counting in her head. She'd almost reached two-hundred when the door finally opened and the closed again.