Liar

Olivia's father was driving his car at full speed to reach the police station as soon as possible, eager to learn the truth about his daughter. He tightened his shaky grip on the steering wheel and tried his best to control his emotions, which were attempting to overwhelm his mind like the flow of floodwaters.

As a result, sweat began to bead on his forehead and trickle down his neck. He licked his lips and gulped nervously. Meanwhile, the reporters shamelessly followed his car, as if chasing a criminal.

Out of the blue, precious moments from his past with their daughter started appearing on the windshield of his car without his awareness. It seemed as if he was daydreaming about their time together while driving, reliving those moments. They floated through his mind seamlessly, like white clouds in a blue sky.

                                ***

Mr. Ronaldo Whitley, father of Olivia Whitley, received a voice message from his wife: "Ron, please come home fast, it's very urgent!" He was in his office at the police station, drinking a glass of water after solving a criminal case, when he pressed the play button on his cell phone to listen to the message.

Thud!

The glass fell from his hand and shattered into several pieces on the floor. He widened his eyes, filled with worries and anxiety.

He grabbed his car keys from the table and got out of his office. Then he gave instructions to one of his junior officers in a soft but serious voice, "I'm going home, please manage the situation for me."

"But sir, you have to attend an important meeting about the C.G. Company fraud case with our senior officer, Mr. Pattinson," the junior officer replied with a note of concern.

"That's why I need your help. You have to manage everything wisely in my absence. I believe in you, and don't worry, I'll try to come back as soon as possible!" Ronaldo shouted as he ran toward the parking lot. He got into his car and, within a few seconds, drove away toward his home, stress weighing heavily on his mind.

                                ***

"Evelyn, what happened?" Ronaldo asked in an apprehensive tone after opening the door to his house. He was extremely shocked to find the drawing room empty, with no trace of his wife or daughter. The room was shrouded in darkness, which was particularly alarming because his daughter was afraid of the dark. She usually slept with a lamp on the table beside her bed and kept every light on in their rooms during the day while she played.

As a consequence, drops of sweat began to accumulate on his forehead as he thought about his family's safety. It took only a few seconds for him to conclude that his family had been kidnapped by one of his enemies. In his profession, he had earned a lot of respect, but he had also made many enemies.

"No, it can't be true! No!" he mumbled to himself. With a puzzled mind, he was about to leave the house to search for his family, but he stopped in his tracks when he heard something.

"Dad!"

After hearing the word, he immediately turned around and saw his daughter standing in front of him, holding a small cake in her little hands. The whole drawing room was decorated with different types of lights because it was Ronaldo's birthday. He used to like seeing those types of decorations. Evelyn stood beside their daughter, smiling widely.

"Happy Birthday, Dad!" Olivia, Ronaldo's 5-year-old daughter, wished him with a huge smile and lots of excitement on her face.

After seeing her face, he released a deep sigh of relief, but his eyes became teary at the same time. Evelyn understood her husband's state of mind, so she took the cake from their daughter's hand. Ronaldo sat down on the floor on his knees and burst into tears.