Shattered Illusions

Olivia was desperately trying to free herself from the assailant's grip, which pressed the pillow over her face with all their strength. But the grip was so strong that every attempt she made failed within seconds.

As a result, Olivia struggled anxiously for air, much like a fish gasping on land. One thought flashed through her mind: Was this the end of her life?

At that moment, her parents faces appeared in her panicked mind, especially the promise she had made to her mother before coming to prison. Surprisingly, the invisible yet indescribable bond between mother and daughter filled her with an unpredictable strength, helping her push the assailant off her body.

A desperate scream for her life escaped her mouth as she opened her eyes and sat up on the mattress, gasping for air. She panted, her mouth and eyes wide open, struggling to take in heavy breaths. Her entire body trembled with fear, drenched in sweat, especially her face. In that moment, it seemed she had forgotten about her assailant while filling her almost empty lungs.

After a couple of minutes, when she came back to her senses, she saw the other three prisoners looking at her with shocked expressions. Their stunned faces made her furrow her brows in confusion as she tried to recall what had happened just a few minutes ago.

At that moment, Nora entered the cell and asked Olivia in a worried voice, laced with anxiety for her safety, "What happened here?" Concern etched on her face for the newly declared killer.

Olivia couldn't find the words to reply to her question, as she felt more confused and curious about her own situation than Nora did. She licked her trembling lips several times, taking uneven breaths as she looked down at her mattress, her eyes darting across its surface in search of answers.

Seeing Olivia's state, Nora quickly ran to the sink and returned with a glass of water. She then bent down to sit on the mattress, holding the glass out to Olivia. "First, drink this water. You'll feel better," she said.

Without saying a word, Olivia took the glass and drank the water in one gulp, causing her to choke. She began to cough, spilling water from her mouth. Drops of water trickled down from her chin to her neck and onto her clothes. Nora started to rub her back to calm her down.

"If she has nightmares every night and keeps screaming like this, I won't keep the deal between us anymore, because I don't spare anyone who disrupts my precious sleep." Nubia, the shot caller of the Nubians gang in Abyss Hill prison and one of Olivia's roommates, declared in a serious voice, glaring at the newly convicted murderer and breaking the silence of the cell. The other two inmates also shot their new roommate blazing glares of anger mixed with irritation.

"So, it was just a nightmare," Olivia thought, letting out a deep sigh of relief.

"If any of you tries to break the deal, I won't hesitate to break every bone in your body by joining the other team," Nora hissed through clenched teeth, her tone laced with fury.

Upon hearing the threat, Nubia rolled her eyes in mockery. One of the prisoners was about to speak, but she quickly stopped when Nubia signaled her to remain silent by shaking her head.

"Come with me," Nora said to Olivia, and she obeyed. They both exited the prison, and the guard locked the cell behind them.

"What the fuck! Now we have to endure the unwanted drama of a spoiled child of our enemies even during our sleeping hours, all because of that fucking deal?" One of the prisoners said, irritation evident on her face as she fixed her gaze on their leader for an answer.

"Calm down, Zel. We can take care of this kid anytime; in fact, it might be better to say she could die in her sleep from nightmares. But right now, our priority is to take down Abigail and seize control of her team as soon as possible. Otherwise, we risk losing our lives at their hands. Don't forget that Abigail's loyal dog already gave a bite to Olivia as a welcome gift." Nubia tried to convey the tense atmosphere of Abyss Hill prison to her loyalist.