Red Velvet Cake

On a warm Monday, a boy in a blue apron was standing in front of the kitchen drawer.

He was recalling their words.

"Is that a cake you made?"

"Kinda miss your cake"

"Bake me a cake, Taufan!"

"When you want bake a cake again, Taufan? Let me help you next time"

"Chocolate cake seems delicious today..."

Then blue apron boy named Taufan was thinking about something. About what to bake for his oldest twins, Halilintar. What would be the suitable for him? A plain vanilla cake? Traditional cake? A mud cake? Thousand-layer? Or cake that are often sold in bakeries, such as pie, bagels, or brownies?

No, he felt that the cakes he was thinking at the moment didn't really suit him.

He thought that Halilintar would eat (almost?) All the cakes that he always made for him anyways, so does it matters?

What's the right cake for him in the first place?

Cake that suitable for a mysterious person, likes to be cautious about things, has a hard outer shell and doesn't open up easily, but once people get to know him more closely, he brings out his sweet, gentle and genuinely caring side.

And from that point, he decided it and started to bake.

As for the ingredients, he had bought a lot on last week, to the point where he was asked questions such as what he used them for and where the money came from so that he could buy that many ingredients. But it's not the point.

The point is, he hadn't made cakes in a while due to their various previous activities, and suddenly wanted to make it for them. Different cake for them.

So here he is now, standing without anyone knowing his plan, let alone entering the kitchen area at the moment.

He first seperated the ingredients and utensils that he wanted to use. From sugar, eggs, to red food coloring.

Next he mixed in the flour, salt, and cocoa powder, sift and set it aside. Pour into the flour mixture and mix it well. With using a small bowl, after that he mix together the baking soda and vinegar and stir it well. Pour into the batter, mix well.

Then he continued to progress it until it was finished.

About an hour or so later, he had finished making a cake that he thought was suitable for someone like Halilintar.

He wiped his sweat with a satisfied smile on his face. After that, he cleaned up the equipment he had used as well the places that were dirty because of his actions. Put back the materials that have been used to they were first placed.

Finally, a mini red velvet cake is done and ready to be served.

As far as he remembers, at this hour of today, he doesn't have anything to do, just staying in the bedroom. He went to deliver the cake to Halilintar.

"Hali? Are you there?", asked him while knocking the door.

There was no response or whatsoever.

He knock again. Then accidentally pushed the door. It was not locked, huh.

The person in question, was using earphones so he didn't hear his call just now.

He poked his shoulder. Halilintar then took off his earphone with a single word coming out from his mouth, "What?"

"That's why you didn't hear me huh", Taufan put one of his hand on his waist while his other hand still holding the cake.

"I smell something sweet when you walk into the room, did you finally make a cake again after a long time?"

"Yes, Hali, yes. Here, I made yours", Taufan nooded and then give the cake to Halilintar.

"For me?", Hali looked at him quite surprised. It's been a while since he bake cakes, and he firstly bake it for him?

"Dig it", with a smile, he waited his reaction.

Halilintar ate the cake that had been served to him.

It took quite some time to get a verbal reaction from him, as his expression reaction wasn't very satisfying to Taufan.

"It's tasted good", said Halilintar between the bites while nooded with eyes closed.

"That's all?"

What he wanted him to say? Simply put, it’s tasted good. Plus, he had made the same cake for him, so there was nothing he wanted to say other than it was tasted good.

The cake had been eaten without getting a satisfactory answer from him.

“Look, I might don’t know what you want from me. I said the cake is fine, also I enjoy it. Isn't that enough?”

Taufan looked like he want to say something about Halilintar’s statement but he just downcast with a sigh and picked up the dessert plate instead. Yea, what did he expected exactly from cold person like him.

“Okay then... Do you want me to get you something?”, Taufan asked him before turning around and walking out of the room. Halilintar thought for a second and answered him, but he just shook his head.

"All right..", he was already preparing to leave the room before Halilintar called him back.

"Taufan"

“Yes?"

"...", there was a silent of awkwardness before he opened his mouth again.

“... Can you make me more cakes next time?”

Taufan sighed fondly at him with a smile.

“I'll make it again next time, don't worry"

Halilintar watched Taufan move to the exit of this room. Before he gone, Taufan turned back and gave him a big smile.

Now that's makes his efforts pay off. Next, tomorrow is Gempa's turn.

🍰

Additional notes:
I suddenly thought of making this series during work hours, but also remembered that fic (cake 🍰) is exists, so I took inspiration for Hali's reaction from that fic. Thank you whoever you are.

🍰

@Narayaki06