Prologue

Rain Winters still remembers the day she first met Kai Cristoval. It was her 10th birthday, and her family threw her a huge party to celebrate. He and his family just moved to her neighborhood and being the hospitable woman that she is, Rain's mother invited young Kai to her daughter's party with open arms. Rain didn't mind though--she believed the more the merrier. And little Rain adored attention. She couldn't wait for everyone to give her presents and wish her a happy birthday.

At the day of her party, Rain was dressed in a very pretty white dress adorned with ribbons. Plus, her wavy red hair and big brown eyes made her look like an absolute doll. She stood alongside her mother as they welcomed her friends inside and hoped they'll enjoy themselves. Five minutes into the party, and Rain was already having the best day of her 10-year old life.

Kai, on the other hand, was not so delighted. He was just forced to move from the town he called home his entire life, and already his mother was urging him to attend a little girl's birthday party. For an 11-year old like Kai, that one year age gap was huge and he couldn't hide the disdain from his face as he reluctantly climbed the porch steps of Rain's house.

But that quickly changed once he had a glimpse of the little girl in white, who was looking at him with a huge toothy smile on her face. His small heart literally skipped a bit as he took in her features. After that, he was a lost cause.

Rain hid her surprise when a strange black-haired, blue-eyed boy started following her around the house. But she didn't mind one bit. She did enjoy the attention he was giving her, even though she didn't even know his name. 

Rain did everything a girl does on her 10th birthday--she graciously accepted the greetings thrown her way, oohed and aahed at every gift she opened, and played princess of the day.

Everything went perfectly until the cutting of the cake.

Kai couldn't keep silent anymore.

He wanted to introduce himself to the birthday girl, but he was too shy to talk to her. He wanted to give her a present, but soon realized he didn't have anything on him other than the clothes on his back. So when Rain's mother asked who wanted to bring the cake in, his hand shot up before his brain registered the movement.

His hands were clammy as he pushed the cart carrying her pink birthday cake. He hoped his nervousness was not visible on his face. Kai wanted Rain to think that he was the coolest boy she'd ever met. He wanted to make her feel the same thing he was feeling.

But, of course you can't have everything you want.

One moment he was daydreaming about their future, and the next he was tripping on the rug. Because he couldn't stop the impact of the fall, Kai could only watch in horror as his body crashed on the cart, causing the cake to fall, and speed straight towards little Rain's face.

Kai saw everything in slow motion; the look of surprise on everyone's faces to the panic look on Rain's as she sat frozen like an ice cube; the cake neared inch by inch until it finally hit her crimson locks. And the three-layered cake didn't just splatter on her face; it covered her entire body in frosting.

Rain couldn't believe what happened. She wholeheartedly wished that everything was just an awful nightmare. She even convinced herself it was so. How else could everything turn so bad, so fast? So she closed her eyes, even though the frosting made them sticky, for a few seconds before opening them again.

She expected to find herself back on her soft bed. What she didn't expect was the look of pity on her friends' faces. It was then that she finally realized everything wasn't a terrible nightmare after all, but reality.

Tears welled up in her eyes, but she put no effort in stopping them. Rain glared at the insinuator; the strange boy who single-handedly ruined what was supposed to be the best day of her life.

Rain saw him turn pale at her murderous glare. He tried approaching her, but she didn't want him anywhere near her.

   "Stay away, you bully! I hate you! Get out of my house!" Rain yelled at the top of her lungs as she willed her tears to flow freely.

   "I-I'm sorry," Kai tried, but the little girl wasn't listening. She already started to cause a fuss; sobbing to anyone who would listen that he ruined her birthday and that it was the worst day of her life. She noisily complained about her ruined hair and dirty dress. Her mom hurriedly went over and tried to soothe her rambling daughter, but to no avail.

Kai truly wanted to sincerely apologize for the mishap, but he was honestly starting to get a headache from Rain's whining. He didn't think such a small girl could cause such a ruckus and he wasn't too happy at the revelation. In fact, he quite disliked it.

Rain carried on and on for what seemed like hours and finally, Kai couldn't take it anymore. He stormed out of the house with a raging headache and a big frown on his face.

As Kai grumpily walked back to his new home, he realized two things:

   1) His small crush was completely gone (Hey, feelings change).

   2) He definitely prefers the silent beauties over raging and spoiled girly girls.

He swore he would never make the same mistake again, unknown to the fact that one day his solemn oath will eventually be broken.

_+_+_+_+_+

A/N: Hi! This is the first werewolf story I've ever written(unless you count the first sample book I gave up writing). For this story, there will be NO Alpha, Beta, or any other werewolf leader. I tend to see werewolves as free creatures, and no matter how much I love those possessive Alphas I just can't with this story. This book might seem like teen-fiction at first glance, but it's a werewolf story. I'm trying to make this book as un-cliche as possible, so bare with me if I'm slow at updating. At this point, I'm almost finished with the first chapter. I'll be posting it soon!

VOTE, COMMENT, FAN, PROMOTE if you like this! :)