Not Good Enough For A Mate

Chapter Two: Not Good Enough For A Mate

Promptly after Kai exits the locker room, he's immediately confronted, or should we say ambushed into a tight hug from behind.

"Football practice just ended and you're already training my muscles," Kai says as a light-hearted joke. "Give me some space to breathe, babe."

The arms disappear from his torso and Katie appears from behind him, pouting. "I can't allow you to relax for a second, love. You suck in food like a vacuum cleaner. If I don't help you work out, you'll turn flabby and unattractive." Her eyes appear half-serious and half-playful and they twinkle when she realizes Kai is honestly afraid of the first half.

"A man needs to eat when he's not being dragged around by his girlfriend," Kai grumbles in an unusually low voice. Unfortunately, Katie's height reaches as tall as his mouth and she hears every word uttered from his lips.

Judging from the look in her eyes, Katie's ready for an all-out mock argument, but before she can open her mouth both Jake and Rob from the football team comes out of the locker room and approaches Kai in a fast walk.

"Dude, did you study for the English exam? Ms. Birwall mentioned it was going to be 25% of our grade because Winter Break is close and so are our exams." Jake Lowell's fluffy blond hair bounces as he frantically rushes over and babbles to a relief Kai. Jake is often thought of as an airhead due to his inability to read a situation and slow reactions, but when handed his football equipment he becomes a completely different person. As Quarterback, it's his duty to lead his team to victory and he hasn't taken it lightly to this day. Victory after victory are all credited to his strategic attacks and knowledge of his enemies' attack patterns.

Rob Nielson, on the other hand, is what people call a deceitful gentleman. As the team's wide receiver, it's his responsibility to watch out for intercepters and to choose the safest route to pass the ball. On the field he deceives the ball intercepters with his convincing body language and immediately changes strategy on the first sight of danger. His perfect passes have helped his team win games time after time again. But outside the field, he is a perfect gentleman--especially to the ladies. He puts a hand on Kai's shoulder. "Kai, can you show me the vocabulary at lunch? If I don't study those, I'm going to miss a third of the test."

Kai nods at both their questions. As a person who plays as part of a team, it's a necessity to get good grades so that players can put 100% of their play in games, without the prospect of getting kicked out looming behind them. Contrary to others' belief, athletes are serious students too. In fact, their studiousness are on par with honor students.

"Thanks man. Jake and I are just gonna go. We don't want to ruin your private moment." Rob winks at Kai and Katie, while Jake looks at Rob, cluelessness written all over his face. "Until lunch, milady." Rob kneels in front of Katie and gently brought his lips to her hand. Rob may be a gentleman, but he can be a bit of a playboy too. Katie giggles when she sees the murderous look on Kai's face, but turns momentarily confused when a wolfish growl leaves his lips.

"Back off my girlfriend, Nielson." Kai's hands are clenched in fists at his sides, and his blue eyes have turned dark and deadly. It's one thing to talk to a werewolf's girlfriend, but it's another to actually touch her. Male wolves can be especially possessive.

Rob's eyes hold a mischievous glint as he assesses Kai's aggressive form calmly. "I was just pulling your leg, man. Don't get so serious," he smirks. Kai growls again. Meanwhile, Jake is panicking over Kai's sudden anger and saying "this is bad, this is bad" over and over. No one pays him a bit of attention, until Rob grabs his arm and starts dragging him away from a potential fight with him and Katie in-between.