Book three, chapter twenty-two

Harry Potter and the Grim Truth. One more!

Chapter twenty-two: Secrets Uncovered.

It's been a long couple of days I'm so sorry about the late post 😭

---

"Shocking business... shocking... miracle none of them ended up dead... however, that girl's cuts 'll never heal over.... Why, I've never heard of the like... by Merlin, it was lucky you were there, Snape..."

"Thank you, Minister."

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say... First Class, if I can manage it!"

"Thank you so very much indeed, Minister."

"Quite the nasty cut you've got there... Black's work, I presume?"

"Indeed Minister... if I may add, I believe Black bewitched the children... they were convinced he was innocent... I wouldn't dare hold them responsible for their actions against me or Lupin... on the other hand, they may have permitted Black's escape... I'm afraid the things they've gotten away with in the past have given them a rather high perspective of themselves... and, of course, Potter has been allowed an extraordinary amount of freedom, much more than any normal student--"

"Ah.. Well, Snape, best to let bygones be bygones... we've all got a bit of a blind spot when he's involved. Can't be helped."

Harry had finally found the energy to open his eyes, but everything was blurry, and the room was dark. He could see Madam Pomfrey with her back to him, tending to someone who he presumed was Ron by the red hair just underneath her arm. Harry craned his neck to look around.

Hermione was in the bed next to him, seemingly holding her breath. She was wide awake too. When she saw that he was awake, she pressed a finger to her lips, motioning for him to stay silent.

And suddenly, the creaking of a door made the entire room freeze. Harry shut his eyes quickly, and someone else spoke.

"Mister Minister, if I may interrupt?"

"Er-- I--"

"Thank you! Soo, Professor Snape... I'm sorry to say you're wrong, but, like, you're to-otally wrong--"

"What in--"

"Professor! It is so rude to cut off a lady when she's speaking! My god! Anyways, Mister Minister, I think you'll find something very useful to Black's case, if you would be so kind as to check this rat."

"What does this... rat, have go do with Black, miss?"

"Only, like, everything. You wouldn't happen to know of... unregistered Animagi, would you? I have reason to believe this... stupid little rat, is none other than Peter Pettigrew--"

"Miss Turpin, you've lost far too much blood if you're inclined to believe this... thing, is Peter Pettigrew. He is dead--"

"UM? Professor Snape, sir? Still, like, super rude? Now, Mister Minister-- as I said, Professor, not you-- ahem-- would you be so kind as to do the spell-thingy that turns stupid little rat Animagi into humans? Like, now? This dude's tail is, like, so gross."

"Miss Turpin-- I, er, agree with Snape. I think you may have lost a bit too much blood... why not lay down for a moment, and think--"

"Sir, if you would, just check the fat rat, this would be over in an instant! If, and only if, this little bastard doesn't turn into Peter Pettigrew, I'll shut up. I'll go and lay down, and take that stupid potion. But, when this rat turns into Pettigrew, you've got to give Sirius Black a fair trial. WITH-- Veritaserum! Do we have a deal, Mister Minister?"