Ch. 39 - Understand

Chase POV

I returned down the hall, eager to find my fierce mate. The way she confronted Dex had stirred excitement within me. Entering the kitchen, I discovered her outside, locked in combat with three women. Grabbing a can of soda, I sat back, keen to witness the next move of my captivating pixie.

"You need to get in line!" Maggie lightly pushed Kiera in the shoulder. Maggie was a fellow southerner from an auction house we raided and currently part of my service, soon to be part of my pack.

"Or what?" Kiera shouted back. "I'd rather die than submit to the North!"

"You might have been showered with love and luxury in the South, but most of us weren't. Are you that selfish to ruin this for all of us?" Maggie shouted at her. She was a short woman with brown hair and fierce eyes of a Delta. She didn't take any shit, not even from my fire pixie.

I wouldn't let it go too far, but I was curious how Kiera would handle this situation. She was a natural Luna and destined to handle three powerful Alphas after all.

"What are you talking about? You're a prisoner here!"

"I was a prisoner there too. At least here, I'm not forced to do things that haunt me. In the North, I'm not used as some worthless object to appease a powerful man. I might be a prisoner, but I'm not degraded, and soon I'll have my freedom."

"Freedom?" Kiera's anger simmered away, replaced by confusion. I watched her more closely, intrigued by how quickly she dissolved her anger in understanding to another's pain.

"Yes! Freedom! I wasn't captured and dragged here to the North. A woman named Katherine from the South helped me escape. She told me to follow the orders of the Northern Alphas, and they would accept me into their pack. Not as a slave or an object for power, but as an actual member."

Kiera looked surprised, and I so badly wanted to know her thoughts. She had to see that the North wasn't as vile as she thought now.

"Katherine? You're an idiot to trust her or these people. They won't ever give you freedom. They are making you a servant and keeping you in line by dangling hope that is just out of reach." My little wolf stepped closer to her. I began moving, afraid she was about to tear Maggie apart. I may have miscalculated this ordeal.

"I've been here for months. It's not a lie. I know of others that got their freedom."

"You've seen them after they left here? Have you seen with your own eyes that they are cared for and accepted?"

"I have! They aren't completely accepted, but moved to the next phase of assimilation, and they are officially a part of the pack."

"It's a setup, a damn game. Do whatever you want! I don't care about you or anyone else. I just want to be left in peace to leave this world." Kiera moved past Maggie, and I felt the hopelessness in her. I was relieved she wasn't about to rip her throat out, but Loki whined inside me to help her.

"Alpha!" Maggie bowed her head in respect to me as I approached them, and Kiera turned to face me. Her eyes were so faded of life.

"Leave us!" I ordered Maggie, and she quickly ran away.

"I won't be in service to you or ever accept your pack. Let me be!" Kiera demanded.