CHAPTER THREE

1867, Oxford

"What's the song you were playing, mister?"

"Air On The G String by Bach, little missy." The moustached man explained, "a wonderful piece isn't it? I am curious about the colour he was dyed in when Bach played this." He smiled, staring right back at the curious young girl.

"It's lovely l..." She gasped out in amazement as she looked down, tugging the hem of her dress.

"Say, mister...", she began, "can you teach me how to play this piece? Fidgeting and looking hopeful, she glanced at him.

The man's face lit up at the innocent desire of the girl. He smiled warmly, "of course, miss. It is the way of a gentleman to follow a lady's request after all."

Helene's fingers danced across the keys as melodious sounds of Bach resounded the air. The piece Air On The G String was meant to be played on violin but her teacher had played it just as beautiful on a piano. Helene followed the score in her head and soon enough, the piece ended with a nice finishing note and applause could be heard. 

"It was an amazing performance, Lady Helene." Albert praised, clapping as Helene stood up and bowed.

"Yes indeed, Brother Albert. It was truly marvellous." William commented, doing the same action of clapping as his brother. It was honestly a good performance, he thought to himself. But then, the melody was somehow stained with blood lust, hauntingly beautiful. It was so much that it reminded William of himself. He then stared at Lady Helene who was having a conversation with Louis, knowing that there was something unusual about her. His gaze then fell on her cousin, Lady Diane Emsworth, who was clearly not having a nice evening as she kept giving Helene a sharp gaze that was filled with venom.The countess, a refined woman, also had the same expression as she whispered something in her daughter's ears. On the other hand, Lady Eliza the youngest was biting her nails as if she was anxious about something. So far in the room, only Helene,Thomas and Leonard seemed to be at ease. The mother and daughter who got everything high society has to offer, showing contempt towards a single ward? What strange family dynamic.Even if it was related to the scandal, it was still too extreme. Furthermore, it was Helene's father, Ernst, who started out the law business.

The reason why William had agreed to come was to investigate about the famous law firm called 'Ernst & Pennington' that was owned by the Emsworths. There were rumours that the judges were bribed by the lawyers from 'Ernst & Pennington' into giving condemned nobles very light sentences, and also provided false evidence to frame innocents into the crimes nobles had committed. Though unconfirmed, these claims were most likely true since they were given by Fred through his information networks. They may not have been the ones who sinned but they are the ones letting the devils roam free. William bore that thought in mind while he once again laid his eyes on both Helene and Louis, surprised that he was engaging in talks by his own initiative. 

Out of a sudden, he felt Albert whispered in his ear. "They want to talk with us privately."

William nodded and left with Albert to follow the Emsworth couple after giving Louis a final look.

"How long have you been learning the pianoforte?" Louis asked the question after they had scrolled down a garden path.

"About three years. I started when I was ten." 

"Only three years? Your skills were really exceptional for a learner of three years."

"You flatter me, Lord Louis. That is mainly because I played the pianoforte for masses regularly back when I was still at the convent."