8. Standing next to you

"You'll get mad," says Jungkook, voice cracking as he wraps his arms tighter around his knees, trying to make himself as small as possible.

Jimin's heart clenches as he gets on his knees before his lover, gentle and cautious as though approaching a wounded animal and trying his best not to frighten it.

"I won't, baby."

"You will...you will be disappointed..."

"I promise you... I won't get mad, baby. I wouldn't be disappointed either. Try me."

Jungkook's eyes brim with tears and he seems more upset and disappointed in himself, that Jimin is sure he is projecting his own emotions onto him. Jimin's heart is racing, like he already knows what's coming and maybe he does but he wishes...prays it is anything but that.

But when Jungkook pulls aside his sleeve with trembling fingers, Jimin's heart drops. The cuts are fresh and there's a heavy feeling that settles over Jimin's chest... disappointment maybe. Jungkook had been clean for months now. Relapsing had always been a possibility but Jimin deliberately fought that thought, convinced himself that Jungkook was fine.

Maybe the disappointment he felt right then wasn't at Jungkook, but at himself...maybe it was the situation cause heaven knows those cuts didn't deserve to linger over Jungkook's skin, should never decorate the younger's skin as they do.

"I'm sorry," Jungkook chokes out, "I-im so sorry."

Jimin reaches forward and tugs the younger male into his arms, rocking his shaking frame gently. Tears sting his own eyes, seeing the lines over the younger's skin and the tears leaking down Jungkook's cheeks tugging his heartstrings in a painful manner.

"No...no. Hush, I told you. I'm not mad. It's okay. It happens. It's part of the process of recovery for some people, bub. I'm here. I'm with you, baby. We'll figure it out, okay? I love you so much, darling."

Heart breaking sobs. He isn't sure whether it's from him or Jungkook. Nevertheless, he tightens his hold on Jungkook, as though trying to shield him from all the negatives.

"It'll be okay. I'll be right here. Standing next to you."

8 Nov, 2023