Planning

"Dude don't worry it'll be totally cool." Jordan said.

“Are you sure your mom's gonna be at work all day? Mark asked.

"Positive. She doesn't even come home for lunch, so we'll be home alone all day. Just make sure you don't tell anyone." Jordan replied.

"Don't worry, I won’t tell. But if we're gonna-" Jordan looked around to see the cause of silence in his friend.

 Mrs. Joesome walked up to them, and, as always, was carrying a cup of coffee and a clipboard. Her face was thin and sallow, with a gray tinge that matched the colors of her personality.  She was a very prissy woman, and today she was dressed in a black pencil skirt down to her knees, and a buttoned up pale blue shirt. Tucked in, of course.  She wore no jewelry of any kind.

Mark remembered when he showed Jordan around school, and Mrs. Joesome was the first teacher he had met. He allowed his mind to travel back to the tour.

“Mrs. Joesome, I'd like you to meet Jordan “Mark said.

Her eyes narrowed, and Mark could see why.  Jordan's Levis were a bit baggy, along with his DC shirt and shoes. To miss priss, Jordan was a scuff on her perfectly polished floor.

"How nice to meet you.  I assume that you have received the student handbook? "She asked. Jordan looked a bit taken aback, as most students did when they met her. She was just so..perfunctonary. But it was no surprise to Mark. Mrs. Joesome was known as the strictest teacher in the whole school. She had even made kids cry. Kids often asked, "Why does she teach if she hates kids?"

Jordan quickly collected himself.

"No," he replied.

"Preposterous! All students must receive a student handbook. It enforces all of our policies that keep this school in check. You know, we have a very strict policy that combats truancy." She paused slightly, and her voice gained a slight mysterious edge.  "But the stories ought to stop that anyways."

"What stories?" Jordan asked. He looked at Mark, who shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, the story goes that the last kid who skipped school was never heard from again." Mark was bothered by how matter-of-fact her voice was.

"Well, I'll be sure to get you that handbook, Jordan. Have a nice day!" She smiled, and Mark could clearly see her yellowed, crooked teeth.  

"You too." the boys mumbled in response.

"What the hell was that about?" Jordan asked.

"I dunno. She never said anything about that kid to me. But then again, I've never been a new kid."

"Plus, " Jordan said, "you don't look like one that would skip anyways."

Mark looked down at his neatly pressed plaid shirt and his light wash blue jeans. "Ya got that right."

He now smirked to himself, knowing tomorrow's events. But his smirk faltered as he thought, I wonder if that was true. Nah, she was probably just messin with us, Mark thought, and then allowed himself to stay in the present.

 "What are you boys doing!?" Mrs.Joesome shrieked, eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"Nothing," the boys replied in unison.

"Why aren't you in class?"

"Free period,” Jordan said.

"Both of you?" Her eyes now focused on Mark.

"Yes."

"Well, carry on." She seemed almost disappointed, as if she had wanted to catch them doing something. Probably did, Jordan thought.

"Anyways," Mark said, his voice now hushed, “if we're going to skip, then we gotta call in sick."

Jordan put his hand on the back of his neck, his fingertips lining up with the back on his ear. He breathed in through his teeth, and then out.

"Man, I don't know if I can do that. I suck at impersonations.'

"That's okay," Mark said, his voice returning to normal volume, “I can do my mom pretty well. I'll probably be able to do yours. Actually, it doesn't even have to be yours, cuz she’s probably never even called here, with you being so new and all."

"Yeah" Jordan replied.  

The bell rang

Riiiiiiing! Riiiiiiing!

"I gotta get to math. What about you Jordan?"

"I gotta go talk to someone.Hey, meet me after school, alright? I gotta tell ya something."

"Sure thing." Mark said , and waved goodbye to Jordan as he walked off.

As he headed off to math, Mark couldn't help wondering:

What was so important he couldn't tell me during school?

***************************************************************************************************************

Hey! So, what do you think? Tell me if you like it, if you don't , what you do like, and what you dont. ! :)