WHO KNOWS MAYBE HE'S NOT A BEAST PT.7

The tension between us remained palpable, a silent forcefield that crackled with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. One evening, as the sun dipped below the New York skyline, Nickolas and I found ourselves in the penthouse living room, the city lights casting a soft glow across the room.

"Madison," Nickolas began, his voice surprisingly gentle, "we can't keep avoiding the inevitable. We need to talk about our situation."

I crossed my arms defensively. "What's there to talk about? I'm being forced into a marriage I never wanted. There's nothing you can say to change my mind."

He sighed, his eyes searching mine. "I know this isn't ideal for either of us, but we can't change our circumstances. We need to find a way to make this work, for both our sakes."

I scoffed, unable to hide my bitterness. "Make it work? This isn't some fairy tale, Nickolas. You can't just wave a magic wand and make everything perfect."

He leaned forward, his expression serious. "I'm not expecting it to be perfect, Madison. But I believe we can find a way to coexist, to build something meaningful out of this situation."

I rolled my eyes, my frustration bubbling to the surface. "Meaningful? This entire arrangement is based on power, control, and family alliances. There's nothing meaningful about it."

Nickolas ran a hand through his hair, his jaw clenched. "I never asked for this either, Madison. But we can't change our reality. All I'm asking is for us to try and find common ground, to respect each other, and maybe, just maybe, find a connection amidst all this chaos."

His words caught me off guard. I studied him, seeing a flicker of vulnerability in his eyes. "And what if I don't want a connection with you?" I challenged, my voice sharper than intended.

He held my gaze, unwavering. "That's your choice. But I refuse to enter into this marriage with animosity between us. We're bound together, whether we like it or not. It's in our best interest to make the most of it."

I looked away, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts and emotions. "I don't even know where to start," I admitted, my voice softer now.

Nickolas reached out, his hand hovering before hesitantly brushing against mine. "We start by being honest with each other. No more walls, no more pretending. Just raw, unfiltered truth."

I hesitated for a moment before finally nodding. "Fine, let's try. But don't expect me to suddenly warm up to the idea of this marriage."

A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "I don't expect you to change overnight, Madison. All I ask is for a chance, a chance to show you that maybe, just maybe, we can find something real amidst the chaos."

And in that moment, as the city lights flickered outside, I made a silent promise to myself. I would give this unconventional marriage a chance, not for Nickolas or my family, but for the possibility that maybe, buried beneath the layers of resentment and defiance, there might be a glimmer of something more.