Remorse

Over his own laboured breathing, Scar could make out the sound of scattered footsteps. He felt much too exhausted and weak to lift his head, but he knew the hyenas were leaving, and a sense of relief washed over him. The surrounding flames crackled in his ears, deafening him, and the air was thick with smoke, causing Scar's lungs to burn as he quickly gasped in air.

All of a sudden, the lion's body felt lighter. The pain... wasn't there anymore. Confused, Scar tried to lift his head - and, much to his surprise, found it required little to no effort.
"Taka."
Scar's ear twitched at hearing his name. The name nobody had called him for years.
"Who's there?" he asked, turning quickly.
"Mufasa," the deep voice replied, and Scar's body tensed. His head snapped to the side, and his green eyes widened with shock. Before him stood a larger lion, his eyes burrowing deep into Scar's soul.
"Brother."
Scar was surprised at how... vulnerable his voice sounded.
The lion took a step closer.
Scar swallowed back a wave of fear. "No. Have you come to exact revenge? Please, Mufasa."
Mufasa extended his paw, and Scar flinched, expecting the lion to claw at him, but instead   he softly wrapped his paw around the back of Scar's neck and gently brought him closer, leaning into him.
"Hush, brother."
Scar rested his head on Mufasa's shoulder, his shoulders heaving as he sobbed.
"I'm sorry," he wept, feeling genuine remorse and nostalgia. He hadn't felt his brother's paws around him for years. What happened to the kind, mischievous young cub who would play with his older brother everyday, laughing happily as they scampered across the Pridelands, their parents watchful eyes supervising them? When was the vindictive, bitter lion who took pleasure in watching others suffer created? When did Scar replace Taka?
"I'm sorry," Scar repeated, for he was, as he buried his face into Mufasa's warm chest, before looking up at him with tearful eyes. Mufasa smiled at his brother, then turned around.
"Come," he murmured.
Scar followed his brother, and it reminded him of when he would scamper after him while the cubs ran off to explore and catch field mice, or head to the watering hole, where they could splash eachother and laugh about it hours afterward.
Scar's breath hitched as he saw another familiar face. His mother, Uru, her eyes squinting in a smile of kindness and happiness.
"Mother!" he shouted, running to her and embracing her, like he had done countless times as a cub.
"Taka," Uru whispered to him as she held him closely. "My little Taka."
She would always call him 'her little Taka' whenever he was upset or frightened.
"Son."
Scar opened his eyes and peered over his mother's shoulder. His father, Ahadi, stood behind her, looking at his boy with concerned eyes, as if he wasn't sure how the lion would respond.
But Scar approached Ahadi, albeit rather slowly. As a cub, Scar had often been belittled, reprimanded, and neglected by Ahadi. Ahadi was either teaching Mufasa about his future responsibilities, or patrolling the Pridelands to make sure there were no hyenas, rogues, or any other predators lurking about.
"You are my boy," Ahadi said, his voice lacking the usual firmness he had often spoken with. Instead, it sounded genuine, wise, and loving, all mixed into one.
For years, Scar had yearned to hear those words, though he hadn't known it until now. Scar sunk into Ahadi, tears now of joy streaming down his face. He felt like a cub again, an innocent cub with no knowledge of pain, no desire to hurt or kill whatsoever, and it crushed his cruelty, destroyed his hate, and ruined his evil.