Chapter 21

You know the drill. Asterisks {***} will denote where the smut starts and ends if you would like to skip. I can't believe there's only 8 more chapters to go!!!

☾━━━━⊱⋆⊰━━━━☽

Draco returned unexpectedly one fair spring morning. Luna had been out on the turret past the first blush of dawn, wrapped up in blankets with her chin tucked low and exposed cheeks pink from the cold.

She'd been half asleep, blinking heavily at the horizon, when she heard the crack of someone apparating onto the premises.

Her heart thundered when she saw the white-blonde head emerging from the treeline to stride towards the secluded manor in the woods. He didn't look hurt, but he was walking with fervent purpose.

Throwing off her blankets, she ripped open the hatch and jumped over Hornette who slept at the base of the ladder like a clingy dog. He startled awake with a grunt when her feet hit the floor running.

"Where do you think you're going?" he growled, reaching out a meaty hand to grab her arm.

Luna wrenched free, snapping with all the might she could muster, "Master Draco is back. Unhand me, unless you want to see what he'll do to you for touching me."

Hornette's hand pulled away so fast she thought he might have been burned. His eyes smoldered with cold fury, but the threat had worked.

At the sound of the front door opening and closing, Luna whirled away to rush down the rest of the stairs to the first floor, but she never made it.

Draco met her halfway.

Halfway up the stairs, hand gripping the banister for dear life, he stared up at her where she'd frozen on the landing.

All at once, she felt breathless. There were a million questions she needed to ask him, but when he looked at her like that? Like a soldier come home from war, desperate to see his one and only love...

All she wanted to do was throw herself into his arms and kiss him ragged.

Hornette's clunky steps broke her out of her daze. He appeared behind her, and Draco's gaze immediately darkened, cutting sharply to the other death eater.

"You're dismissed," Draco said curtly, and that was that.

Hornette didn't argue. He walked past Luna, tipping his head respectfully to the young Malfoy master, and saw himself out the front door holding the latest star report from Luna.

He must have gone up to the turret to rifle through her things when she ran on to meet Draco... The snake.

They waited, holding their breaths until a crack echoed outside, signaling that Hornette was at last gone.

"I— I was so worried about y—" she started to say.

Draco took the stairs two at a time, shaking his head to stop that sentiment before it started.

Before she could utter another word—another confession that she worried so much about him while he was gone—he had hold of her waist to draw her in flush against him. His mouth was on her a heartbeat later, immediately parting her lips with his tongue.

Luna folded, giving in immediately. Though her mind had been a mess of convoluted, guilty feelings the past weeks without him, this moment with him erased all of it.

Maybe her friends would never forgive her. Maybe it was wrong to fall for him. Maybe she was darker than she thought. Maybe she was a sympathizer of the enemies now.