The hand and the needle

I awoke, lying on an orange medical bed. All around me on various tables lay stands, filled to the brim with test tubes, and needles all sharp as drills. I pondered on the reason for my being there but couldn't reach a clear conclusion. A check-up perhaps? No, I am fine. What about my eyes? No, I still can see all, except my purpose being here. Suddenly I remembered, my blood was to be taken samples of! The needles now lay menancing as my senses were enhancing. No, it can't be! Those drills will not puncture me!

The door creaked, the doctor came, told me to lay. With shortened breath and wide-eyed eyes, I lay observing her picking a needle, a drill to bore into me. Look away, she said. I looked up to my father, took his arm into mine, looked him in the eye.

She crept up my other arm, looking for a vein to pry open. Then it came, a sudden sharp pain. And as quick as it came, it was gone. I felt it in my arm, like a drill in the ground of my flesh. Mind you, it wasn't pain I felt, only a firm pressure like the weight of a million seas.

For seconds? No, for hours I lay there, holding my father, breathing quick in and out, and feeling that thing inside. Yes, my father's hand, drill in my hand, only this and nothing more.

Finally, I was freed, the drill lifted, a bandage applied. But even then, there was something in my arm. A constant pressure, like another needle prying my vein open again. Even when we left and got told, we would get the results on Friday, it stayed.

I covered the spot with my other arm, protecting it from any other intruders. And now i sit here, typing, gently tapping it away. Consider this a warning, reader, you intruder! Im fine, im still alive! I don't need you trying to drill more into me! I just need to... never go there again. If the price of my health is so high, I would rather die!

Then again, I can't know, if perhaps there isn't an even bigger drill waiting to get me from inside! That must be what I feel. Perhaps I need a blood screen?

I awoke, lying on an orange medical bed.