Chapter 1: Denial

"Lelouch! Be honest with me —— No, with everyone here," she paused, letting her words sink in, damping the already heavy atmosphere even further. She earnestly demanded transparency from the man who called himself 'Zero' for several months.

The Black Knights were a resistance group built on pushback against corruption. They were representatives of true justice.

...And all of this started because of Lelouch's contributions in their battle against the army of the Holy Britannian Empire all the way back! And now, it was revealed that he was actually a prince of Britannia?!

This reveal was earth-shattering for all members of the Black Knights, especially Kallen, who had begun to regard the man deeply. After all, this secret was kept from her for so long, by one of the few people she trusted...

How many in this world could cope with the fact that their lover had deceived them so nonchalantly?

Now, all that was needed was... At least some semblance of pushback against the assertion that he was using them for his own selfish goals. That would be enough for the pink-haired pilot —— anything at all, she would readily eat it up just so he wouldn't leave.

"You care about us, don't you?" her voice quivered, feeling the burden of these grueling circumstances. "I know you do, Lelouch. I know you do."

There was no reason to trust him at this point; he was exposed for his lies. So why? Why was Kallen still trying to decieve herself with empty lies?

Was it desperation?

Or maybe it was delusion?

Or perhaps... It was her unwavering love for the black-haired prince.

Love...

Love in and of itself was illogical. It leads people to make the stupidest choices just so their relationship can last. In fact, many would even sacrifice themselves if that could guarantee their partner's safety and survival.

Simply put, humans lost their ability to reason and conceive of things in a logical manner when influenced by love.

And Kallen was currently the perfect case study for such a concept.

"Low and behold —— before me is the man who once held the hopes of the oppressed... How the mighty have fallen. He who was referred to as a hero, was nothing more than a selfish scumbag!"

"Diethard, you're commentating?" Lelouch noted that Diethard was recording everything happening. "I suppose you're really hurt by my actions, isn't that right?"

"Yes. I myself believed in your will, Lelouch. I thought you wanted to take down Britannia's corrupt government and free all who are held captives. I thought... You were a just man, Lelouch! I believed in you!"

"You fool!"

The air tensed even further. After such an emotionally charged downpour of heartfelt words, the black-haired prince was chuckling creepily. His grin exposed his white teeth, as he looked down on everyone before him, as if they were mere ants.

"All of you; I have been using you since the beginning! You were all pawns in my chessboard, I never actually cared about you cretins!" he spat, hostile without holding back.

He continued, "The murder of Prince Clovis? That was me! Everything that's happened so far was because of me! Don't overestimate your useless selves..."

He turned to Kallen, who looked at him fearfully. "Kallen, move away from me. You deserve to live."

"No, I'm not leaving your side, Lelouch! I'll stick with you even if I die," she stated resolutely, not even hesitant to death's grasp.