Chapter 2

Days, weeks, months pass with training, lessons, note-taking, the half-disgusting cafeteria food, Snowy, Midnight, Mockingjay, Spring and Kuro hanging out, sneaking out of their rooms at night. Kuro grew her muscles and criminal intelligence, able to pickpocket not Mockingjay, but she and Midnight. She'd also pickpocketed a total amount of 25 dollars from people on the streets.

If her old self saw her, she would be shocked. Her mom and dad would be so impressed, especially her mom. Her mom was very athletic and a type of rebel herself, so she brought back calluses and blisters on her hands everyday.

Kuro turns in bed, trying to find a more comfortable spot. Tomorrow's the Newbies test. I hope I can pass it— Her thoughts are interrupted by their door creaking the smallest bit. "Who's there?" Spring and Kuro ask in unison, which causes a giggle from Mockingjay.

"Hi girls. It's Ms. Blue." She walks into the fake moonlight shining from the 'windows', revealing herself in a black suit. "We have a problem. A group of our advances has been caught and now they're going to be arrested soon. We need a group to save them, but everyone's asleep. You all must be back by morning, but don't worry, I'll accompany you."

"Why us? You know I'm only in the Newbies rank." Kuro groans, sitting up to face Ms. Blue.

"Well, you're going to be in the Intermediate rank soon, though."

"Only if she passes the test, though, Ms. Blue," Spring says, then looks up at Midnight's angry face, "But Spade can. She'll definitely pass it."

Ms. Blue looks up at Midnight and Mockingjay. "So girls, I really need your help. Are you in? Otherwise this whole agency is blown. Also, we have to complete their mission. Which is to rob Herold Bank. Rob safe 102, which has a pound of gold in it. We'll then split it up to the homeless, and hopefully they'll survive. You guys don't have your regular criminal uniform, so I have them here."

She hands a stack of clothes to each agent, but she hesitates as she turns towards Kuro.

"What? I'm not experienced enough, right? I thought so, so goodnight." Kuro leans back on her bed, staring at the bars keeping Midnight's mattress in place. "No, that's not why. You're still coming, so here's your uniform." She sits up hearing Ms. Blue's reply, and receives the uniform. It looks different from the others when she examines Spring's closely.

The uniform consists of two parts, a zip up fleece jacket and thin but baggy pants. She pulls them over her regular uniform, which fits perfectly. The fleece jacket has gray designs and spacious pockets, and the pants are plain black.

Suddenly, a shadow flashes in front of her eyes, as Midnight jumps down from her top bunk quietly. "You, Spade, have the official uniform of students who'll turn evil to the Verse in Verse."

"Evil? Verse in Verse?"

"Yes, evil, as in very criminally evil. The Verse in Verse is... Something we don't usually talk about. The Verse in Verse lets people go through portals, worlds, and is able to teleport to places. People who are part of the Verse in Verse army are the strongest people part of criminal organizations. You'll be the first person from our organization to be a Verse in Verse leader."

"Wait, but no! I only wanted to get revenge on Sorus Snol for my mom!" Kuro exclaims, clutching on the hem of her shirt. She loved her mom, hated Snol, but only wanted to stop there. Wanted to get a dog with her dad. Wanted her dad to be... Alive. "So I can't stop? This is my future? My destiny? No, I don't want that. Can- Can I change it? I want to be with my dad!"

"Spade." Ms. Blue grabs her hand, "You'll find your father someday. I know it. Trust me." Ms. Blue's cold hands send goosebumps up Kuro's arms. Ms. Blue then whispers, "As long as you stay in the Verse in Verse, you'll find your dad. I confirm it as long as I have the power to read the future." She whispers into her ear, which sends more goosebumps along Kuro's arms.