The Last Wish

"Anaaya, I don't have much time left, will you fulfill my last wish my dear?" Jamshed Ali asked his 17 year old daughter. He was battling the last stage of cancer. "Abbu, please don't say such things. I have nobody of my own in this world. Please, I will do anything you say, please don't leave me Abbu" said Anaaya, her tears flowing down her cheeks. "Munim ji Call, Kareem and ask him to come and meet me immediately, will you? And ask him to get Shagufta bhabhi and Nihal with him, tell him it's important" Jamshed told his assistant. He immediately left the room to call Abdul Kareem.
"Anaaya, you will do as I say, I want you to be safe and have a secured life when I am gone beta, so you will grant me my last wish, promise me you won't say no to anything that I ask for" Jamshed held Anaaya's hand and said. Anaaya looked at him teary eyed "Abbu, I will do anything for you. Please don't give up yet, I need you" she bent down and kissed his forehead. Jamshed smiled weakly "Baccha we all know I don't have much time." Anaaya was about to say something when Munim ji entered and said "Sahaab, Kareem sahaab and family is on the way" "Mashallah, Munim ji please do the necessary arrangements for their arrival and Anaaya go get ready meri jaan. I want you to look presentable." Anaaya nodded in confusion and left the room. "Sahaab, Anaaya beti is too young for this, Nihal baba is 10 years elder to her" "Munim ji, he's the right person for her, he will take care of my angel. Kareem and Shagufta bhabhi will treat her like their own daughter" Jamshed said. "I will go make the arrangements, you rest sahaab" Munim ji left saying this. Abdul Kareem and his family arrived at the Diwan mansion and was welcomed by Munim ji. "Sahaab is in the room, please come. I will get refreshments for you, please come" he led the Choudhary family to Jamshed's room. "Jamshed, what happened? You look weaker than the last time I met you my friend, what's wrong" Abdul Kareem asked. "Kareem, please sit. I have something very important to discuss with you and bhabhi ji, of course with Nihal too." There were confused looks as they settled. "Kareem, bhabhi ji I don't have much time left and my only worry is my daughter's future. She is young, she lost her mother when she was a little kid, I have reached the last stage and before I die I want to see my daughter getting married. Will you fulfil my last wish my friend?" Jamshed asked hopefully. "Bhai sahab, don't say such things, Anaaya needs you. We will get the best possible treatment for you" Shagufta said teary eyed. She always considered Jamshed Ali like her elder brother. "Bhabhi ji, will you make my daughter your daughter in law and give her the family she always deserved? Will you take care of her? Nihal beta, will you marry my daughter?" Jamshed asked with tears in his eyes and his hands folded in request. "Jamshed! You don't have to request, we will do anything for you. We are here for Anaaya always. Nihal will marry her." Said Abdul Kareem holding Jamshed's hands. "Bhai sahab Anaaya is like a daughter to me, we would be more than happy to make her our bahu" Shagufta said. Nihal was stunned at the way his parents took the most important decision of his life. He remembered Anaaya as the irritating and talkative kid. He had seen her long back. She was full of questions and kept smiling all the time. He was angry and frustrated at what his parents decided but he knew there was no escaping as his parents would never say no to Jamshed Ali. Jamshed Ali had helped the family in the bad times. The jewellery, construction and real estate business was all because of Jamshed Ali, he was their main investor back in time when Abdul Kareem started his career. "Nihal, will you marry my daughter?" Jamshed asked and all Nihal could say was "I will uncle" his mind was boggled with the events that happened just now. He was frustrated that he would have to marry a rich spoilt brat who spoke non stop and was irritating with a constant smile. "Munim ji, please get Anaaya" Jamshed Ali said. "Ji, sahaab" said Munim ji and left the room. "Bhai sahab, please don't give up on life, we all are here for you and for Anaaya" Shagufta said. "I am giving my daughter to you because I know you will love her like your own" Said Jamshed Ali. Anaaya entered with a tray of Orange Juice and Sandwiches in her hand. Dressed in a baby blue Lucknowi salwar kameez. Her eyes were red and swollen from all the crying, she looked sad and that broke Jamshed's heart. "Assalam Walaikum uncle, aunty" Anaaya said and placed the tray on the coffee table. Nihal looked up from his phone and was taken aback looking at her. She wasn't the girl he was imagining. But he knew that she was sad due to her Father's condition. Jamshed Ali held Anaaya's hand and said "Anaaya, I don't know how much time I have, but now I can die peacefully knowing that you will be in safe hands" "Abbu, please don't say such things, please" she cried. "Beta, my last wish is to see you getting married, Nihal is ready to marry you. Say yes beta" Jamshed said with hopes, Anaaya turned to look at her father and then at Nihal who was busy looking into his phone. "Say yes Anaaya, we are here for you beta" Shagufta ji said. "If that's what Abbu wants, I am ready." Saying this Anaaya left the room.
"Munim ji get the file please" Jamshed said and the assistant got a file. "Kareem, this is my will, I am leaving it with you and this is my power of attorney, Nihal it's in your name. You are going to be my daughter's husband, her protector. Everything I have is now yours. This mansion will be transferred to Anaaya's name after she turns 18, the textile and handlooms will be transferred to your name and so will the farms and farm houses. The hospital remains under the charitable trust and all the FDs and money in the bank will go to Anaaya once she is 21. Please take care of her. She is naive, young and childish at times, give her time and she will adjust. She is a nice girl beta" Jamshed said handing over all the files. Nihal was shocked to see the amount of trust Jamshed was placing in his family. Without any qualms he had given everything to him. Nihal held Jamshed Ali's hand and said "I will try to be a good husband uncle, I will keep her safe" Jamshed patted his back and said "Kareem I want the wedding to take place in the next week, I know it's too early but I don't want to take risks. Bhabhi ji please make this happen" Jamshed said with tears in his eyes. Anaaya heard all this from the door.
Her life was going to change in a week. Her father had sealed her fate. She knew the Choudhary family since childhood, they were nice people, but marriage was a big thing. She didn't know what to do. All she knew was she would do it for her Father's happiness.
"We will take your leave Bhaisahab, next Friday the Nikah will take place here at your mansion, I promise" Shagufta said. "How do I thank you Bhabhi ji" Jamshed was emotional. "We are getting the best bahu bhaisahab, don't worry about the arrangements we will take care of everything, you rest well. It's your daughter's Nikah so get strong" Shagufta said with a smile. As they were leaving they saw Anaaya at the door Abdul Kareem placed his hand on her head and blessed her Shagufta hugged her with tears in her eyes, Anaaya had tears too. Nihal looked at Anaaya, looking at her tears he felt bad for her, he said "Take care" and they left.
In a week they were getting married. Anaaya couldn't believe she would be gone from this house in a week.
Nihal was also equally stressed. His life was going to change in a week.

************************************************************

Thank you for reading the story.

Do let me know how did you like it in comments and share it with your friends.